X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question concering deletions and inversions inferred from PE-sequencing

Hello everyone,

I've got two questions concerning the detection of structural variations:

1.) We sequenced the same cell line twice with the Illumina GA II (paired-end, 100bp read length), but with different insert sizes; ca. 400bp in run1 and 200bp in run2 (ends may overlap here). Kinda strange thing happend here when we detected deletions: In run1 we detected deletions (ca. 1.500) of various sizes (ca. 150bp - 200.000bp), quite a lot of deletions of a few thousand basepairs. In run2 almost 100% of the deletions ranged between only 100bp and 1.000bp. We saw this using Breakdancer and GASV using the same parameters and filtering criteria in both runs. The sequence and fragment coverage is also comparable in both runs. I don't quite understand why there are such big differences and some kind of upper limit in run2. Maybe some of you have experienced something similar.

2.) Does anyone know an effect during the paired-end sequencing process (Illumina GA II in my case) that can cause artificial inversions? We noticed quite strong deviations in the number of detected inversions across different experiments or samples (we used GASV for variant detection); it ranged from 10 to 20.000 inversions using the same programs and parameters during the analysis. I'd never expect that much inversions and such discrepancies even across different samples. Does someone know if that might be a technical problem in the lab or in the sequencing machine?

I'd be very glad if someone had some ideas, that help me understand these effects. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Christoph
    Last edited by ForeignMan; 05-09-2011, 03:56 AM.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses