X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k-range in Meta-IDBA

Dear All

has anybody experience with Meta-IDBA?

I have illumina metatranscriptome data and try to assemble it with Meta-IDBA. The manual is rather short and I am struggling with the output. Are there some general guidelines for min-k and max-k? Is it better to use a wide range (e.g. 10-75) or a smaller (e.g. 45-55)? A broader range results in less and bigger contigs (see below) but do I underestimate the number of possible species?

for example:
    (a) k-range: 10-75 n50=404 #contigs=5700
    (b) k-range: 45-50 n50=108 #contigs=16656

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by loba17; 10-17-2011, 07:33 AM.

its mee again ... it seems not so many people use meta-idba?

I run the analysis with different kmin and max values and I compared, n50, n90, and number of contigs. It seems meta-idba works best for kmin=25 and kmax=75 in my case. It is, however, possible that I fused together reads that do not belong together. I guess I have to assembly the reads using the contigs as references and determine the level of variation.

Comment

Hi Loba,
      I've used standard IDBA for isolate assembly and with values of k below 30 chimerism/misassembly becomes a problem even in isolates. I haven't examined the issue in metagenomes closely enough to say how much worse the problem becomes in that context, but my intuition says be careful. Unless whatever you're planning to do with the assembly is robust to chimerism, I would exercise great caution in setting k to anything below 35 or so. The bigger the better. Unfortunately you will be limited by read accuracy, since longer k means each k-mer is more likely to contain an error, and I have not heard of an error correction approach that is sensible in the context of metagenomics where low abundance k-mers are expected to be real and not just noise. But that issue hasn't stopped some people from attempting filtering of low-abundance kmers in metagenomic data:

Comment

Greetings !

Originally posted by koadman View Post
        Hi Loba,
        I've used standard IDBA for isolate assembly and with values of k below 30 chimerism/misassembly becomes a problem even in isolates. I haven't examined the issue in metagenomes closely enough to say how much worse the problem becomes in that context, but my intuition says be careful. Unless whatever you're planning to do with the assembly is robust to chimerism, I would exercise great caution in setting k to anything below 35 or so. The bigger the better. Unfortunately you will be limited by read accuracy, since longer k means each k-mer is more likely to contain an error, and I have not heard of an error correction approach that is sensible in the context of metagenomics where low abundance k-mers are expected to be real and not just noise. But that issue hasn't stopped some people from attempting filtering of low-abundance kmers in metagenomic data:
        http://ivory.idyll.org/blog/jul-10/kmer-filtering

Even with a k-mer length of 21, the chimeric contig rate is very low with the Ray assembler. We tested it on in-house data as well as on the 124 samples from Qin et al. 2010.

(We are preparing a paper about it.)

You can download Ray here.

We have a mailing list too.

How to use Ray:

HTML Code:
        mpiexec -n 64 Ray \
         -k \
         31 \
         -p \
         Sample/ERR011142_1.fastq.gz \
         Sample/ERR011142_2.fastq.gz \
         -p \
         Sample/ERR011143_1.fastq.gz \
         Sample/ERR011143_2.fastq.gz \
         -o \
         Assembly

Where mpiexec is a program that coordinates 64 instances of Ray an where Ray is the MPI-compatible Ray assemble executable.

Sébastien Boisvert

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses