PDA

View Full Version : problem while using sra tool kit

vinila86
05-07-2012, 02:04 AM
hi, I need to convert my SRA file into fastq format.. for that i download the SRA toolkit from http://trace.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Traces/sra/sra.cgi?view=software. I am using fedora 64 bit linux operating system and choose CentOS Linux 64 bit architecture as sra toolkit compressed file.

I Decompress the downloaded file, and copy the fastq-dump file to system path. Then I Convert SRA to fastq by using the command
fastq-dump <SRA archive file>

but I am getting an error like this..

2012-05-06T19:18:21 fastq-dump.2.1.12 err: column not found while opening table within short read archive module - failed SRR069603.sra
Written 0 spots total

=============================================================
An error occurred during processing.
A report was generated into the file '/root/ncbi_error_report.xml'.
If the problem persists, you may consider sending the file
to '[email protected]' for assistance.
==========================================================

somebody please tell me why it is happening and the solution..it is urgent!!

thank u!!

Bukowski
05-07-2012, 03:11 AM
Apparently you're not the only person with this issue:

http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17508

Have you actually done what is suggested and sending the error report to NCBI? What is in the error report anyway? It might hold a clue..

vinila86
05-07-2012, 04:07 AM
thank u for the replay,
well, I am copying the error report which i got...

<Report>
<Run>
<Cwd>/root/Desktop/sratoolkit.2.1.10-centos_linux64</Cwd>
<CommandLine argc="2">
<Arg index="0" value="./bin/fastq-dump"/>
<Arg index="1" value="SRR069603.sra"/>
</CommandLine>
<Result rc="RC(rcSRA,rcTable,rcOpening,rcColumn,rcNotFound)"/>
</Run>
<Configuration>
<Files count="2">
<File name="/root/Desktop/sratoolkit.2.1.10-centos_linux64/bin/ncbi/config.kf
g"/>
<File name="/root/Desktop/sratoolkit.2.1.10-centos_linux64/bin/ncbi/vdb-copy.
kfg"/>
</Files>
<refseq state="not found"/>
<krypto file="not found">/root/.ncbi/.vdbpass</krypto>
<sra state="not found"/>
</Configuration>
<Object path="/root/Desktop/sratoolkit.2.1.10-centos_linux64/SRR069603.sra" type="table" fs_type="archive" size="138873160">
</Object>
<SOFTWARE>
<VDBLibrary vers="2.2.6"/>
<Build static="true"/>
<Tool date="Mar 28 2012" name="./bin/fastq-dump" vers="2.1.12">
<Binary path="/root/Desktop/sratoolkit.2.1.10-centos_linux64/bin/fastq-dump" type="alias" md5="f65c872ed7b695b92e646b3151133675">
<Alias resolved="fastq-dump.2">
<Alias resolved="fastq-dump.2.1.12"/>
</Alias>
</Binary>
</Tool>
</SOFTWARE>
</Report>

...............................is it because i am using fedora instead of CentOS??? please continue replay........ thank u

srasdk
05-07-2012, 08:16 PM
According to
ftp://ftp-trace.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sra/sra-instant/reads/ByRun/sra/SRR/SRR069/SRR069603

The file size is 651,975,610

Fastq-dump reports size="138873160"

Either you ran out of disk space or file transfer was aborted. Try to download again.

You can use sra-dbcc command from SRA Toolkit to check if downloaded file is OK.

zeam
10-08-2012, 08:10 PM
hi, I need to convert my SRA file into fastq format.. for that i download the SRA toolkit from http://trace.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Traces/sra/sra.cgi?view=software. I am using fedora 64 bit linux operating system and choose CentOS Linux 64 bit architecture as sra toolkit compressed file.

I Decompress the downloaded file, and copy the fastq-dump file to system path. Then I Convert SRA to fastq by using the command
fastq-dump <SRA archive file>

but I am getting an error like this..

2012-05-06T19:18:21 fastq-dump.2.1.12 err: column not found while opening table within short read archive module - failed SRR069603.sra
Written 0 spots total

=============================================================
An error occurred during processing.
A report was generated into the file '/root/ncbi_error_report.xml'.
If the problem persists, you may consider sending the file
to '[email protected]' for assistance.
==========================================================

somebody please tell me why it is happening and the solution..it is urgent!!

thank u!!

Hi vinila86,

Recently I have enconter the same problem. I want to know how did you handle this problem finally.

I have used sra-dbcc to check the file, and the report was as follows:
================================
2012-10-09T04:05:06 sra-dbcc.2.1.6 info: Table 'SRR488770.sra' ok
================================
Thanks.

jfgout
10-17-2012, 08:15 AM
I had the same problem. Simply updating the fastq-dump from 2.1.6 to the latest version (2.1.18) solved it.
Hope this helps.

Jeff

olesk
12-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Dear all,
I have been through all your frustrations:
- clicking like hell in the SRA archive and running in circles.
- downloading SRA tools (yes I know my platform!!!) and finding instructions in discrepancy with the outcome
- trying again - and again - reading the download guide - try again and again and again and after a while thinking that this would have corrected - and then again.
You do not wish to discuss memory problems, versions, columns, tables etc.
I have found two backdoors:
One is when you have found your SRR numbers:
Then you can download each file individually from your web-browser replacing the digits after SSR in this link:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Traces/sra/sra.cgi?cmd=dload&run_list=SRR515925&format=fastq
or multible seuences with a link like:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Traces/sra/sra.cgi?cmd=dload&run_list=SRR294514,SRR352727,SRR364895&format=fastq
The other is more clicking around:
- Find your study, your link may look like:
http://trace.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Traces/sra/?study=SRP013698
- In the experiment to your Right find the clickable “Show RUNs for each experiment” and click.
- Click one of the SRR numbers
- DO NOT click download – but click reads instead.
- Find the “Filtered download” and click.
- Now select which or all SRR’s you want and select FASTQ – or FASTA if preferred – and download in FASTx.gz starts
This reply is also meant as thanks to all the great people that brings these data to us and a friendly reminder that all these data could be made much more accessible to common users. Much of the problem is caused ordinary design flaws.
- best

Arouth
04-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi,
I had a similar problem. You may have to specify the accession directly using the '-A' option. Without this, the accession is taken directly from <path>.

For example, if this fails:
/files/fastq-dump SRR234234.sra

Then try:
/files/fastq-dump -A SRR234234 SRR234234.sra

Hope this helps.

aleferna
08-27-2013, 11:39 PM
I have the same problem with fastq-dump.2.3.2,
column not found while opening table within short read archive module
tried -A, the perl configuration, the jar, nothing seems to work??

I'm doing fastq-dump SRR000712.sra from bash as I've always done?

GenoMax
08-28-2013, 04:16 AM
As strange as this may sound have you tried to provide the full file path to the sra file when doing the fastq-dump? Several people have reported that to work for various fastq-dump related issues.

/files/fastq-dump /full_path_to/SRR000712.sra

Update: I just tried the file myself. Getting the same error.

aleferna
08-28-2013, 05:50 AM
Yeap tried wiht the full path, when I do this the error message changes from file not found to the problem with the columns?

GenoMax
08-28-2013, 06:02 AM
Oddly sra-dump seems to work. Try it.

These data are from 2008 so who knows what has changed with SRAtoolkit since that time.

dpryan
08-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Sometimes, it's easier to just grab the gzipped fastq file(s) from ENA (ftp://ftp.sra.ebi.ac.uk/vol1/fastq/SRR000/SRR000712/SRR000712.fastq.gz) :)

eckofoid
04-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Although grabbing the gzipped file always works, it also can take hours, as opposed to a few minutes with Aspera.

On a separate note, I can't find any useful information about how to use sra-dump. Could somebody give a couple of examples please?