Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to evaluate if the replicates are good

We have 5 replicates for each sample. Before we go with further analysis, we would like to know if those 5 replicates agree with each other in a reasonable way. So is Pearson correlation suitable in this situation?

Thanks for any input

Originally posted by capricy View Post
    is Pearson correlation suitable in this situation?
    My guess would be no, even if you're using log-normalised expression values (I'm assuming here this is an RNASeq project). It would be expected, even in substantially different samples, that the majority of genes would be similarly expressed, so you'd always get your samples appearing to be in almost complete agreement with each other (with crazy-low associated p-value).

Comment

Then what should I do? Could you please give me more details? Thanks.

Comment

Then what should I do? Could you please give me more details? Thanks.
        It seems like you're asking me specifically. I have limited experience in this area, so can't provide useful information to you on this; there are much more qualified statisticians on this forum who can give better advice.

The only thing I can quickly think of is doing a differential expression experiment with no replicates, to see if any genes come up as differentially expressed between any replicate pairs. Unfortunately, that will tell you if your samples are different (which you really hope is not the case), but not if they are the same.

Comment

If you just want to see if the samples within each group have reasonable similarity, then you might just use hierarchical clustering or look at a PCA plot. Those are normal QC steps and there are probably example steps for whichever analysis program you use (I recall there being examples in the edgeR and DESeq vignettes).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
            by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
            05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
          • seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 05-10-2024, 06:35 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 05-09-2024, 02:46 PM
          0 responses