No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get consensus sequence from blasr alignment

Hello,

I have some pacbio reads which I have aligned to a reference sequence using blasr. I can see the resulting alignment in igv with the help of samtools and it works fine.
    What I would like is a simple way of recovering the consensus sequence that results from this alignment. I can see any simple way of doing this. Is there one?

Thanks a lot for your help?

This should do what you need: https://github.com/PacificBiosciences/pbdagcon

Comment

I'm not sure the pbdagcon program is the right one. It is meant for aligning raw pacbio reads to themselves for correction. I would suggest the Quiver program: https://github.com/PacificBiosciences/GenomicConsensus. The more coverage, the better the consensus will be, though...

Comment

Thanks Genomax and flxlex for your replies. I will have a look at those tools.

I also realized that my problem is not specific to Pacbio, it can be rephrased as extracting the consensus from a bam alignement (regardless of the tool used to produce that alignment) and I have seen that there are a few ways of doing this.

samtools mpileup is one apparently.

Does that make sense?

Comment

For PacBio data the highest quality consensus requires the rich QV information that is not stored in a BAM file. The workflow would be to use pbalign (which calls blasr) to generate a cmp.h5 file, then GenomicConsensus.
          https://github.com/PacificBiosciences/pbalign

pbdagcon is optimized for speed, and is really intended as a tool for use in developing algorithms.

pbalign (blasr) -> GenomicConsensus (quiver) will give the most accurate consensus.

Due to the predominant indel error in PacBio data, samtools and mpileup won't give as accurate a consensus as those tools designed for PacBio data.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
          0 responses