No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidity causes imaging issues!

Note added 7/23/2010:
    Turns out the phenomenon described below was not caused by ambient humidity, but instead by a cracked slide in the adjacent flowcell. The crack is was not visible -- or at least I did not see it when I looked -- until today.

I was told by ABI that imaging is performed at 25 oC, so humidity is not going to be an issue unless you run your SOLiD in a swamp or a steam room.
    End of note
    ----------------------------------

Just a heads up for those who, like us, don't live in a desert and have less than perfect climate control:

beware humidity!

We have been plagued by intermittent "black panels" where no data can be collected. By "intermittent", I mean, a panel will be black one cycle, but okay the next. Lots of possible causes for such an issue, but here is one that you may not have thought of.

The culprit was the high humidity in our lab, courtesy of our mid-western US summers. The slides apparently are a little cooler than ambient, so moisture condenses on the imaging surface. The result is:

or

If you double click on a black panel in ICS you will see something like:

or follow this link to see a larger image:

blurry.png

Note that the focal map shows the beads all clearly focused, but the post ligation imaging shows distorted images. I mistook them for some sort of vibration artifact at first.

Finally the condensation got so bad, I knew I would have to, at least, repeat the primer, so we paused the run and I pulled down the flow cell to take a look at the slide. I thought the problem might be bubbles in the flow cell. Instead I saw hundreds of tiny beads of water condensed on the outside surface of the slide. Here is what the flowcell looked like (the one on the left):

I gently wiped the surface off and continued the scanning. The black panels mostly disappeared.

But next time the slide chills a little, they will be back. I have to get the humidity down in the lab. Specifications Applied Biosystems provide call for <80% humidity, "non-condensing".

--
    Phillip
    Last edited by pmiguel; 07-26-2010, 12:38 PM. Reason: To correct error.

Humidity and dew point vs. imaging

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
    Just a heads up for those who, like us, don't live in a desert and have less than perfect climate control:

beware humidity!
    [...]
    But next time the slide chills a little, they will be back. I have to get the humidity down in the lab. Specifications Applied Biosystems provide call for <80% humidity, "non-condensing".

The specification, I believe, is max temp 25 oC and max humidity 80% with the caveat "non-condensing". The "non-condensing" part is impossible to determine unless one knows the surface temperature minimums of all parts of the optical path of the instrument.

25 oC/ 80% relative humidity gives a dew point of roughly 21 oC. It would not take much chilling at all to drop the flowcell/slide temp below 21.

Even at our worst, we were seeing a dew point just over 20 oC. So my guess is that the specs are not stringent enough. The dew point of labs in Foster City California are probably always below 15 oC. That is not trivial for us to reach, given our poor building climate control...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses