Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid 4HQ?

Does anybody know if the solid 4hq is anywhere close to being released or if anybody has any idea of the day-to-day throughput of the machine?

Last I heard, 4hq was slated for release at the end of the year. I have also heard that unlike all previous upgrades, this 4hq will be expensive. On the order of $100,000 (USD). So that probably means a new camera to support smaller bead sizes? Possibly other changes to allow longer reads (75 bases)?

Here is a link to a story back in the spring:

v4

--
    Phillip

Comment

hi all, I got the info that these two new solids will be launched at the ASHG.

Comment

At a Life Tech. talk last week they showed some slides and it seems they've renamed the Pi and the HQ to something like the 5500 and 5500XL. I don't recall a mention of release dates though.

Comment

I presume you are joking.

In any case the SOLiD v1 should be the 37000.

--
          Phillip

Comment

Makes sense to change the name if it is a completely new instrument... Not sure what the 5500 would stand for though, something with a new encoding scheme or the error rate?

Comment

5500? wasn´t that the "name" of ABIs QTRAP? confusing. However, I don´t care about names if the product fits.

Comment

Originally posted by Chipper View Post
                Makes sense to change the name if it is a completely new instrument... Not sure what the 5500 would stand for though, something with a new encoding scheme or the error rate?
                I'm sure he is joking or mistaken.

ABI, for whatever reason, used to go with serial number-like product names. The earliest slab gel sequencers were all 37x, where "x" was 0, 3 or 7. Then the 48/96 capillary sequencers that followed were 37x0 where "x" was a 0 or 3.

So the sequencer that followed the 3730XL should have been the 37000. But ABI, by this point, presumably realized that names were easier for most people to remember than numbers. I don't see them going back to the old naming methods.

Sad, in a way. Knowledge of an ABI sequencer name once meant something. It was a shibboleth. If someone started talking about running a 377 you knew they did probably did not come by this knowledge lightly. More than likely they suffered, just like you did, pouring those slab gels without bubbles. And if you related your problems with "red rain", they might well weep in empathy with you.

On the other hand, no instrument I've ever used has a "misery index" even approaching that of the SOLiD. (I'll define this index as the cost of a lost run multiplied by the length, in days, of a run.)

--
                Phillip

Comment

Sorry Phillip (go Boilers!), but I'm not joking or mistaken. During the talk of the Life Tech. sequencing platforms, there was a slide showing both instruments w/ the new names, and he said that we were one of the first groups of people to hear that new info. The speaker was Michael Rhodes, Senior Manager - Sequencing, from Life Technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by RCJK View Post
                    Sorry Phillip (go Boilers!), but I'm not joking or mistaken. During the talk of the Life Tech. sequencing platforms, there was a slide showing both instruments w/ the new names, and he said that we were one of the first groups of people to hear that new info. The speaker was Michael Rhodes, Senior Manager - Sequencing, from Life Technologies.
                    I heard the same. In addition, from the slide they showed, HQ will have a new look, more like PI not S4.

Comment

Good to hear that they decided to use the new platform for HQ as well, any info on the difference between the two? One slide for PI and two for HQ?

Comment

Yes, 1 slide for Pi, 2 for HQ. I don't recall any other specific differences. I believe they both use the same chemistries and software.

Comment

Originally posted by RCJK View Post
                          Yes, 1 slide for Pi, 2 for HQ. I don't recall any other specific differences. I believe they both use the same chemistries and software.
                          I thought HQ was to be using 0.7 micron beads instead of the current 1 micron beads. Hence, more beads per slides. But also necessitating new optics (camera?) capable of resolving the smaller beads. And, for those of us stuck with pre-HQ instruments, a $100K bill to upgrade.

Chemistry-wise, I understood they would be offering a new 5-base encoding chemistry that could be used along with the normal 2-base encoding chemistry to allow conversion to base space reads with out the normal error propagation issues. (Or, at least, the errors would propagate a maximum of 5 bases.)

No word on either of those capabilities?

--
                          Phillip

Comment

A haiku for Phillip:

Solid. Misery.
                            Crashing. Cracking. Sliding. Pain!
                            Get better? Some day.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                              Yesterday, 07:01 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                            0 responses