Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iterator in sam.pm returning nonexistant objects.

Or, at least, that is what it looks like to me. If anyone could tell me what's going on here, I'd be grateful.

I have aligned the reads in the transcriptome to a reference genome using bwa and stored the results in a bam file. I am then wanting to go through and count how many reads of the reads are hitting each gene.

I attempt to access the mapped reads in the bam file like this:

Code:
    my $sam = Bio::DB::Sam->new(-bam  =>"SRR641211.bam");
    my $iterator = $sam->features(-iterator => 1,  -flags    => {M_UNMAPPED=>0});

while (my $align = $iterator->next_seq) {
            print $align->seq->id."\n";
            print $align->seq->seq."\n"
    }
    and this works fine for most of the entries in the bam file. Rougly every 20th or so entry will throw up this:
    Use of uninitialized value $start in subtraction (-) at /usr/local/lib64/perl5/Bio/DB/Sam.pm line 1452.
    Use of uninitialized value $end in subtraction (-) at /usr/local/lib64/perl5/Bio/DB/Sam.pm line 1452.

The sequence ID that it then returns is the always the id of the last header in corresponding sam file. And the sequence returned is 'N'

I've had a look at the relevant part of Sam.pm

Code:
    1446 sub can_do_seq {
    1447     my $self = shift;
    1448     my $obj  = shift;
    1449     return
    1450         UNIVERSAL::can($obj,'seq') ||
    1451         UNIVERSAL::can($obj,'fetch_sequence');
    1452 }
    1455 sub seq {
    1456     my $self = shift;
    1457     my ($seqid,$start,$end) = @_;
    1458     my $fai = $self->fai or return 'N' x ($end-$start+1);
    1459     return $fai->can('seq')            ? $fai->seq($seqid,$start,$end)
    1460           :$fai->can('fetch_sequence') ? $fai->fetch_sequence($seqid,$start,$end)
    1461           :'N' x ($end-$start+1);
    1462 }
    And the fact that it's returning N for the sequence makes sense to me. Not so sure about why it's returning that last header though. Or why the error is occuring in the first place. The iterator should only be getting sequence objects from the bam file. This makes it looks like it's picking up sequence objects from the bam file that aren't there and then throws an error when it can't fetch the sequence id or sequence. Can anyone enlightne me as to what's going on here? Is there anything else I can post here that would help understand the problem?

Cheers
    Ben.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses