No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advise on the mRNA sequencing

Hi Everyone,

Currently a beginner in my PHD and wondering can anyone help me on this? i'm totally confuse.

I understand that next generation sequencing sequence whole transcript length of mRNA and can be use for comparative analysis between different samples. As a novice to this new technique I do not actually quite understand the principle of this sequencing read out. I have studied the powerpoint slides provided by the illumina and we actually excised a gel slice of a product of interest e.g. 200bp which subsequently is used for PCR. The question here is what happen to the rest of the fragmented clusters (e.g. >200bp)? Don't we need to sequence those clusters as well to get the whole mRNA transcript readout? It seems to me that the 200bp product clusters provide sufficient sequence to generate the whole length transcript? Totally

Thank you so much for the help

If you optimized your RNA fragmentation to get a peak centered on 200bp, you should be covering almost all of the transcriptome to some extent by cutting out a band at 200+/-25bp. Realize that what seems like a relatively small amount of input mRNA (~100ng) is actually billions of molecules and by fragmenting into small pieces and sequencing those, chances are that every transcript had equal chances of being covered. I made a spiked library recently with a 1 picogram of a 1kb RNA spike and got 3500 reads mapping to it!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses