No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streamlined tophat/bowtie python pipeline

Hello everyone,

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this but I welcome this thread being moved if there is a better place.

I have developed a streamlined tophat/cufflinks pipeline that can run all steps for multiple sample groups/experiments with a single command if so desired. Log files record settings and output messages for easy tracking and methods writing months after you actually ran your data through the pipe. Email notifications are available and a single stage failure does not cause the whole run to fail.

It has a feature for running these analyses in a an SGE administered cluster environment as well.

I have not encoded ALL options from every program yet but welcome fellow programmers adding options/features that they use/need and pushing their changes to github for inclusion in the next release.

The project is quite functional for me but it is still considered below a v1.0 release at the present moment.

I have written the docs using sphinx and they are hosted on github as well.

I have tried to make the code as 'self documenting' as possible with liberal use of docstrings as well.

My main point in posting this here is to get feed back and attract collaboration on developing 'blacktie' to the point that people with a minimal command line comfort level will feel confident using these valuable tools. There may be other pipelines out there in the wild but I did not find any that were marketed past a single lab's needs.

Please try it out and give me feed back or feature requests if you feel the call.

Links:
    github project repo: https://github.com/xguse/blacktie
    docs: http://xguse.github.com/blacktie/

for up to the hour builds pull from the 'develop' branch

blacktie is also listed on the PyPI so v0.1-dev is install-able via:
    Code:
    $ [sudo] pip install blacktie
    Thank you for your time and help,

Gus
    Last edited by Gus; 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM. Reason: Title had typo in it...
    In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.
    --Stephen Jay Gould

Bumped version to 0.1.1

Hi everyone. I just bumped the PyPI version to 0.1.1 after adding some option checking and making sure that the CufflinksCall objects properly dealt with --GTF vs --GTF-guide options.

I also updated the docs.

If you installed via pip you should:
    Code:
    $ [sudo] pip install -U blacktie

Gus
    In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.
    --Stephen Jay Gould

Comment

I have released a new version of blacktie (0.2.0rc1) which has a number of minor fixes and new features.

A major gotcha will be that the yaml config file has been changed slightly to facilitate the inclusion of biological replicate data. So please take a look at the demo config file in the docs posted at: http://xguse.github.io/blacktie/tuto...iguration-file

Thanks and please let me know what you think. I need your input to make improvements.

Gus

Code:
      News
      ====

0.2.0rc1
      --------

*Release date: 2013-04-19*

* git tag: 'v0.2.0rc1'
      * email_notification is now adjustable for other email servers
      * Added support for handling biological replicates in cuffdiff runs.
      * Major changes to yaml config:
          * condition_queue[index].group_id --> condition_queue[index].experiment_id
          * addition of condition_queue[index].replicate_id to track replicate data
          * condition_queue[index].name now represents description of an 'experimental condition' and will be shared by replicates.
      Last edited by Gus; 04-19-2013, 02:25 PM. Reason: formatting issues in the news
      --Stephen Jay Gould

Comment

This is an update.

I have cummerbund working inside of rpy2 and expect a new release containing automation of the basic functionality of cummerbund very soon.

Gus
        --Stephen Jay Gould

Comment

I have a new blacktie release that now integrates automated cummeRbund plots.

Blacktie v0.2.1 with screenshots!
          --Stephen Jay Gould

Comment

BUGFIX release: 0.2.1.2

-----------
            *Release date: 2013-07-17*

* version number system adopted to conform to PEP386
            * This is a hot fix to squash a bug described in github issue: https://github.com/xguse/blacktie/issues/10
            * **in short:** on a Mac ``pprocess`` complained "AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'poll'" when trying to set up a queue.
            * the quick fix is to look for that exception and continue without ``pprocess`` if encountered to avoid the fatal exception.

Attention:
            - It is recommended that all users update to 0.2.1.2 to avoid this issue.
            - Anyone with knowledge of this issue is encouraged to comment on the `issues thread <https://github.com/xguse/blacktie/issues/10>`_ above or in the Comments section below.
            Last edited by Gus; 07-19-2013, 02:13 PM. Reason: Forgot attention part
            --Stephen Jay Gould

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses