No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miseq Custom primer for 16s V1V3 region

Hi Guys,
    I am trying to come up with my own amplification and sequencing primers for 16s V1V3 region and I would like to get help with primer design.
    I think Caporaso primer for V4 region is a good start to do modifications on. I want to understand how the primer pad was designed. In his paper, the explanation for pad region is "The amplification and sequencing primers additionally contain a new pad region to avoid primer-dimer formation with the modified adapter. " But I still don't know how to adapt this for other variable regions. Any ideas?

515F (forward primer) PCR primer sequence:
    Field number (space-delimited), description:
    1, 5' Illumina adapter
    2, Forward primer pad
    3, Forward primer linker
    4, Forward primer

AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACAC TATGGTAATT GT GTGCCAGCMGCCGCGGTAA

806R (reverse primer) PCR primer sequence (each sequence contains different barcode):
    2168 GoLay barcoded reverse PCR primers. Each primer is followed by a barcode identifier
    generated specifically for this set of primers.
    Field number (space-delimited), description:
    1, Reverse complement of 3′ Illumina adapter
    2, Golay barcode
    3, Reverse primer pad
    4, Reverse primer linker
    5, Reverse primer
    CAAGCAGAAGACGGCATACGAGAT TCCCTTGTCTCC AGTCAGTCAG CC GGACTACHVGGGTWTCTAAT 806rcbc0

Read 1: (TATGGTAATTGTGTGCCAGCMGCCGCGGTAA)
    Index: (ATTAGAWACCCBDGTAGTCCGGCTGACTGACT)
    Read 2: (AGTCAGTCAGCCGGACTACHVGGGTWTCTAAT)
    Last edited by lmma; 11-13-2012, 09:29 AM.

Hi Imma,
    Just wondering if you have attempted and succeeded in designing primers for the V1V3 regions? I am about to try the same and any help would be great! Thanks!

Comment

The Caporaso primers are great primers and an elegant design. If you want to cover V1-V3 rather than V4, you can make an easy change to use 27F and 534R from the human microbiome project:

27F Forward
      AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACAC TATGGTAATT GT AGAGTTTGATCCTGGCTCAG

534R Reverse (rcbc0)
      CAAGCAGAAGACGGCATACGAGAT TCCCTTGTCTCC AGTCAGTCAG CC ATTACCGCGGCTGCTGG

Read 1: (TATGGTAATTGTAGAGTTTGATCCTGGCTCAG)
      Index: (CCAGCAGCCGCGGTAATGGCTGACTGACT)
      Read 2: (AGTCAGTCAGCCATTACCGCGGCTGCTGG)

Please verify all of the above sequences. I did the conversion a bit quickly but they should be correct.
      HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology
      http://www.hudsonalpha.org/gsl

Comment

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I am currently validating my primers that are very similar to Caporaso primers with Miseq and will update you shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by lmma View Post
          Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I am currently validating my primers that are very similar to Caporaso primers with Miseq and will update you shortly.
          It would be interesting to know your results as I was thinking of the same "easy convertion" and usage of V1V3 primers from 454 sequencing? Would you consider using only one index?
          Last edited by liepa; 01-21-2013, 07:18 AM.

Comment

validating primers

Originally posted by lmma View Post
            Hi Imma:

Did you get your primers to work? Do they have the staggered pad so that you don't need to use PhiX? I can't seem to get e-mail or messaging to work. We're soon taking delivery of a MiSeq and want to get prepared.

Could you e-mail me at forsterr at agr dot gc dot ca

Thanks.

Comment

MiSeq amplicon paired-end libraries

Hi Imma,
              I was wondering you got any positive results using the protocol from Caporaso et al 2012. I would also like to adopt the same approach and customize some gene-specific primers using their approach. Any insights would be very appreciated.
              Thanks

Comment

Hello,
                I have a related query. I am set out to do an amplicon sequencing on miseq. Going through the library architectures (Illumina TruSeq DNA Adapters De-Mystified Illumina - all flavors) and adapter sequences (Illumina Customer Sequence Letter (August 12, 2014)), I have designed a strategy involving 3 simple PCR steps which skips all of recommended-kit-based-library preparation. Please have a look.

where,
                P5: part of adapter that attaches to flowcell 29 nt :AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACAC
                P7: part of adapter that attaches to flowcell 24 nt :CAAGCAGAAGACGGCATACGAGAT
                Read 1 : sequencing primer 33nt :ACACTCTTTCCCTACACGACGCTCTTCCGATCT
                Read 2: sequencing primer 33nt :GTGACTGGAGTTCAGACGTGTGCTCTTCCGATC
                i5 :barcode 8nt
                i7 : barcode 8nt

PCR1: For primer:ACACTCTTTCCCTACACGACGCTCTTCCGATCT<template for 10bp>
                PCR1: Rev primer:GTGACTGGAGTTCAGACGTGTGCTCTTCCGATC<template rev 10bp>
                PCR2: For primer:GATCTACAC<i5 8nt>ACACTCTTT
                PCR2: Rev primer:ATACGAGAT<i7 8nt>GTGACTGGA
                PCR3: For primer:P5
                PCR3: Rev primer:P7

For plexing 48 samples I would require only 24 (2+12(i5) +8(i7) +2) primers, a standard high fidelity pol and gel purification. I am very skeptical about mainly because of posts mentioning that illumina adapters are methylated so custom primers dont work and also the fact that if the process was so simple, the expensive kits may not be existing!
                If anybody has any idea whether this kind of tinkering works or not, please let me know. As a test I will be doping a single such library next week. I would let know the result. Thanks.
                Last edited by rohan_dandage; 01-11-2015, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rohan_dandage View Post

For plexing 48 samples I would require only 24 (2+12(i5) +8(i7) +2) primers, a standard high fidelity pol and gel purification. I am very skeptical about mainly because of posts mentioning that illumina adapters are methylated so custom primers dont work and also the fact that if the process was so simple, the expensive kits may not be existing!
                  If anybody has any idea whether this kind of tinkering works or not, please let me know. As a test I will be doping a single such library next week. I would let know the result. Thanks.
                  Did you try it? Did it work?
                  Jon

Comment

@JBKri: I did not try actually. As ILMN won't support such strategies, I am still seeking for expert advise first.

Comment

Has anyone actually used the 27F primer for Miseq? My runs didn't succeed, probably due to low Tm and low GC content of the Caporaso Read1 primer (TATGGTAATT TC AGAGTTTGATCCTGGCTCAG)... Any ideas of how to change the primer pad in order to add more GC content?
                      Thanks!
                      Hadar

Comment

Hi Hadarneuman, I would look into using locked-nucleic acid (LNA's) embedded into your sequencing primer. Fluidigm use it (e.g. A+CA+CTG+ACGACATGGTTCTACA) to artificially raise the Tm of the sequencing primer. We have found LNA-custom primers work fine - consensus seems to be to put the LNA bases at the 5' end. They are expensive but worth it if you are planning on doing a lot of sequencing with the single assay. Check out this link for more info; http://www.exiqon.com/lna-technology
                        Cheers, Mike

Comment

We routinely use 27F primer for Miseq (AGAGTTTGATCMTGGCTCAG). Haven't had any issues when compared to other primer sets that we have in use. When you say that your runs didn't succeed is it in failure to cluster in the sequencing run? We get usual cluster numbers and Q scores. Sample type makes a big difference in amplicon generation obviously.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                          • seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                          0 responses