No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding how to compare 2 genomes

Hi Seqanswers,

I would like to ask several questions regarding how to compare 2 genomes in order to find differences: Assume I have 2 dataset of sequencing data from 2 plants of a same species (e.g. arabidopsis) - 1 plant has normal phenotype, the other has disease phenotype. Theoretically, the disease phenotype is known to be controlled by a single gene, and these 2 plants should have similar genome accept the region that responsible for the phenotype. I would want to somehow compare the 2 genomes to find out differences between 2 plants (in order to find the disease gene).

I'm a newbie in Bioinformatics (also newbie of Seqanswers), I do not know where to start. Would you mind providing me some guides to help me find an approach for my problem? - Projects or publications that have similar object; Documents, internet or books, that I should read; Maybe a suggested pipeline would be great...

Thank you for reading.

P/S: And I am sorry if my english is horrible.

The following tool may or may not work in your case but it may be worth taking a look: http://genetics.bwh.harvard.edu/snptrack/ There is a paper linked at the site as well.

Comment

mathematically speaking,

suppose you have the two mappings a:{1,..,n}-->{A,C,G,T} and b:{1,..,m}-->{A,C,G,T}
      representing the two genomes.

pick L (e.g. L=16) and compute
      f:{1,..,n-L}-->{0,1}
      with
      f(x)=1, iff exists y such that a(x+i)=b(y+i) , i=0..L-1

this can quickly be computed by marking all values of b in a 4^L table.
      [you may add the inverse complement of b() here]

then plot moving averages of f, the number of values in the averages being
      approximately the length of the expected gene.

this gives an overview of the matching-quality by genome-region

you should see a "valley" in a nonmatching region

[is there a name for this function ?]

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses