No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samtools pipeline produces many indels

Hi All,
    I'm new to the community and just beginning to understand many of the programs used for SNP selection. In my current exome seq project, I am looking for homozygous SNPs in a consanguineous pedigree with multiple affected siblings. My pipeline is as follows:

previously aligned input.bam files were obtained from sequencing facility

$ samtools sort input.bam input.sorted.bam

$ samtools rmdup –s input.sorted.bam input.sorted.rmdup.bam

$ samtools index input.sorted.rmdup.bam

$ samtools faidx HG19.fa

$ samtools mpileup –uf HG19.fa input.sorted.rmdup.bam > variants.raw

$ bcftools view –bvcg variants.raw > variants.raw.bcf

$ bcftools view variants.raw.bcf | vcfutils.pl varFilter –d 3 –D 1000 –G 20 > variants.flt.vcf

Afer this, I discard common variants using the 1000 genomes and/or dbSNP
    I then grep for homozygous variants, variants shared among affected individuals and found in the heterozygous state in the unaffected parents.

This protocol seems to be generating a large number of INDELs (>50%) compared to SNPs. Is this unusual? Should I have more stringent filters in place?

Also, once I have obtained a final list of variants, what programs are recommended currently for functional analysis?

Try

samtools mpileup –Buf HG19.fa input.sorted.rmdup.bam > variants.raw

In my experience, the BAQ calculations eat SNPs. -B will turn those calculations off.

If you compare the two pileups with and without the BAQ, what you may see is that the BAQ calculations are drastically dropping the quality scores of real SNPs, causing the SNP caller to ignore them, due to low quality. I believe this is an attempt to reduce false positives due to indels.

Comment

Finding indels is much harder, no one so far really understands that. Samtools is calling many false indels, and the existing database is lacking many true indels.

As to BAQ, if you really care about sensitivity, disable it. For general purposes, use it. BAQ trades a couple percent sensitivity for hugely improved specificity.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
      • seqadmin
        The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
        by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
        02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
      0 responses