Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LaTeX and PLoS ONE

Hm - the questions are not really fitting in this forum - but I guess that some of you may have the experience to help (and waiting for the answer from the editors takes time...).

I'd like to submit a manuscript to PLoS ONE using their TEX template. Some things I'm not really sure about:

1. How to include Supporting information (captions) in the .tex file. It seems
    that there was no predefined section for this. Is it possible to add another
    section "Supporting Information" and include one subsection per supporting
    file? For example:

Usage in the text body:
    ...(Supporting Information S1)... - without using the \ref{} command as this
    interferes with the figure/table numbering of the main figures.

Information at the end of the manuscript:
    \section{Supporting Information}
    \subsection{S1}
    Description/caption of the file holding the Supporting Information

2. Are websites written directly into the text or cited via the references (in this case, how to include in the .bib file?)?

3. Is it necessary to include hyphenation characters (\-) for long "words" which are not automatically split (websites, DNA primer sequences...)?

All the best,

Marc

1) I would suggest you to use Lyx for the beggining - http://www.lyx.org/
    LyX is a document processor that encourages an approach to writing based on the structure of your documents (WYSIWYM) and not simply their appearance (WYSIWYG).
    For the support information
    \begin{suppinfo}
    $^1$H NMR, FTIR, and WAXS characterization of random copolymers and a comparison of the two methods for measuring $\tau_{b}^*$ are given in the Supporting Information.
    \end{suppinfo}

Source: http://www.latex-community.org/forum...php?f=4&t=5488

2) cited via the references:
    Cardenas, Raony. "LaTeX and PLoS ONE - SEQanswers." SEQanswers Home. Seqanswers. Web. 18 Aug. 2011. <http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13531>.
    Just use this tool -> http://www.easybib.com/

3)I have no idea, but from Wikipedia:
    The original version of TeX used a hyphenation algorithm based on a set of rules for the removal of prefixes and suffixes of words, and for deciding if it should insert a break between the two consonants in a pattern of the form vowel–consonant–consonant–vowel (which is possible most of the time).[21] TeX82 introduced a new hyphenation algorithm, designed by Frank Liang in 1983, to assign priorities to breakpoints in letter groups. A list of hyphenation patterns is first generated automatically from a corpus of hyphenated words (a list of 50,000 words). If TeX must find the acceptable hyphenation positions in the word encyclopedia, for example, it will consider all the subwords of the extended word .encyclopedia., where . is a special marker to indicate the beginning or end of the word. The list of subwords include all the subwords of length 1 (., e, n, c, y, etc.), of length 2 (.e, en, nc, etc.), etc., up to the subword of length 14, which is the word itself, including the markers. TeX will then look into its list of hyphenation patterns, and find subwords for which it has calculated the desirability of hyphenation at each position. In the case of our word, 11 such patterns can be matched, namely 1c4l4, 1cy, 1d4i3a, 4edi, e3dia, 2i1a, ope5d, 2p2ed, 3pedi, pedia4, y1c. For each position in the word, TeX will calculate the maximum value obtained among all matching pattern, yielding en1cy1c4l4o3p4e5d4i3a4. Finally, the acceptable positions are those indicated by an odd number, yielding the acceptable hyphenations en-cy-clo-pe-di-a. This system based on subwords allows the definition of very general patterns (such as 2i1a), with low indicative numbers (either odd or even), which can then be superseded by more specific patterns (such as 1d4i3a) if necessary. These patterns find about 90% of the hyphens in the original dictionary; more importantly, they do not insert any spurious hyphen. In addition, a list of exceptions (words for which the patterns do not predict the correct hyphenation) are included with the Plain TeX format; additional ones can be specified by the user
    Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeX#Hyp..._justification

Hope it helps

Comment

Thanks a lot for the answers and the links to the nice tools I'll see what I can do

All the best,

Marc

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
      0 responses