No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crustacean small RNA library QC

Hi, everyone,

We're trying for the first time to prepare small RNA libraries for our crustacean model, and we're using the NEBNext small RNA kit. We just finished running the PCR products (before size selection) on BioAnalyzer. The trace looks very different than what I expected, but I only have the kit manual as reference. Mostly, I am confused by the very strong fragment at ~288 bp. The small RNAs are expected to be enriched at ~143-147, so my guess is that the peak at 150 is what I want.

Has anyone seen this? The concentration of the 150 peak is high enough for sequencing. So I am assuming I can just proceed with size-selection of that peak and be fine, unless someone has experienced this pattern and can comment whether my libraries failed and should not be sequenced.

Thanks for any feedback!
    Attached Files

150 bp is the target and it looks fine. The larger peaks depend on presence of other RNA species and would not be a concern. You might be able to correlate them with input RNA peaks if you have run a small RNA Chip.

Comment

Thank you for your feedback! Looking at the TruSeq small RNA guide, it seems this is a common possibility, and may vary with organisms. I will proceed with size-selection.

Comment

How many cycles of PCR did you perform? We have seen a big peak ~280 when you over amplify libraries.

I think that these products at 280 could be 'bulge' products generated when you deplete primers, see (http://www.lsi.umich.edu/files/SmallRNACloning.pdf) and search for bulge.

Comment

Hi, sbarberan,

We did 14 PCR cycles, with total starting RNA of ~700 ng. In consultation with our local sequencing core who does small RNA preps, they suggest these look fine, and we're proceeding with PAGE size-selection of the 140-160 bp bands. Fingers crossed.

I will update the thread when I get new BioA traces or sequences.

Thanks!

Comment

I'm sure if you PAGE size-select the libraries will be fine to sequence.

For next time I highly recommend that you use a gel-free library preparation kit. I work for Somagenics, and we just released our own small RNA library preparation kit that is gel-free and highly accurate (https://somagenics.com/realseq-ac). But there are other companies that also have gel-free library preparation kits for small RNAs.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses