No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tool to merge pileup

hi

I need to merge pileup from multiple samples, do we have an open source tool to merge multiple pileups.

Thanks

Saurabh

Hi!

I have the same question Saurabh. I have 3 biological replicates and i would like to normalize them before i merge their pileup files. Does anyone have a clue for this?

Thanks in advance!

Maria

Comment

For a basic merge, 'samtools mpileup ' will do this:

It displays different columns for each sample; I'm not sure if that is what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by gringer View Post
        For a basic merge, 'samtools mpileup ' will do this:

It displays different columns for each sample; I'm not sure if that is what you want.
        Hi! Thanks for your fast reply

I don´t think this is what i need. I would like to merge 3 biological replicates' results into one single file. Basically for each count calculate the mean of the 3 runs. But before doing that i need to normalize somehow the 3 files, as they have different coverages. Maybe i have to do this before creating the pileup files... Any idea?

Comment

I don't think this is what i need. I would like to merge 3 biological replicates' results into one single file. Basically for each count calculate the mean of the 3 runs. But before doing that i need to normalize somehow the 3 files, as they have different coverages. Maybe i have to do this before creating the pileup files... Any idea?
          mpileup is the only hammer I know (I'm very new to this), so take this with a grain of salt....

mpileup gives raw count data for each run, so you can extract those columns as your raw coverages per sample. I would then normalise by dividing by some statistic from the counts per column (e.g. 75th percentile). Here's a quick R script that does this:

Code:
          # read in pileup data
          data.df <- read.delim("mpileup_lane1-6.csv", sep = "\t", header = FALSE,
                                col.names = c("isoform","pos","flag",paste(c("count","seq","qual"),rep(1:6,each=3),sep="_")));
          pos.counts <- cbind(isoform = data.df$isoform,pos = data.df$pos,data.df[,paste("count",1:6,sep="_")]);
          # rough normalisation of count data
          quantile.counts <- apply(pos.counts[,3:8],2,quantile, p=0.75);
          quantile.counts <- quantile.counts / min(quantile.counts);
          pos.counts[,3:8] <- t(t(pos.counts[,3:8]) / quantile.counts);
          pos.counts$mean <- apply(pos.counts[,3:8],1,mean);
          A more complex *PKM-style normalisation would need to take into account the transcript sizes for each hit, so you'd use something like cufflinks/DEseq/whatever to get *PKM values for each transcript, then divide by that value. I'm not sure if going that far would be necessary, given that they should be hitting transcripts with a similar relative frequency.

Comment

Thank you gringer!

I think you are right about the normalization, no need to take into account transcript sizes

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses