Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABI Announces SOLiD v3.0. Weekend warriors rejoice.

Just finished up day 1 at the SOLiD users group meeting. Was a good meeting with both a look at AB R&D, and quite a few good customer presentations.

The highlight for me (aside from the customer presentations) was hearing about the next version of SOLiD. Minor changes to the instruments liquid handling setup end up meaning major changes in hands-on time and overall run time. In addition longer frag and mate reads dramatically increase throughput.

On the hardware side they are moving the head computer onto a separated cart (instead of the shelf), which will now house large carboys of instrument buffer, storage buffer, and waste. The other three buffers (cleaves/reset) are moved around the left side to allow the syringe to accessed at the front door of the instrument.

Perhaps most significantly, the new system will not require daily plate changes, nor will require mixing any reagents. Each primer set will come entirely premixed in strip tubes, which are simply dropped into a chiller. This enables what they call "5 primer walk away". No more plate changes on the weekends. Not to mention 24 hour operation knocks quite a bit off the run times, and reduces variability from buffer freeze-thaws and plates sitting in the fridge.

Last but not least there is a new reagent, an "imaging buffer" which supposedly offers a dramatic enhancement of fluorescent signals.

Chemistry wise, there were no details as to what changed, but 50bp frag, 2x50bp long mates (new protocol for long tags), and potentially 75bp frags were discussed. In any event, 20G per run is the new specification

There is also a new compute cluster with 2x the RAM (16GB per node), and 5TB more storage for results. Plus quite a few enhancements to SETS for automated offloading of data, email notifications, and multiple instrument control. Better bead calling algorithms and depositions mean also upping the density to 140-150k beads/panel.

No idea on cost. But target full launch is Feb '09.

highlights
    - 3 day fragment run
    - 50 bp reads. or 2X50 mate pair.
    - no more plate swappin
    - 20 gig spec. which means you can pack those beads to get 30gb easy.

They told me a general cost, and it's practically free. it's not free, but near it. I imagine a long wait to get an upgrade though.

I hope they are working on library production next.

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
      Just finished up day 1 at the SOLiD users group meeting. Was a good meeting with both a look at AB R&D, and quite a few good customer presentations.

[...]

On the hardware side they are moving the head computer onto a separated cart (instead of the shelf),
      [...]
      Hi ECO,
      I was there also. I didn't check this forum before going though. Would have been good to meet you.

I just wanted to make a minor correction. The head node itself (and all the compute and the XP blades) will remain where they are now. Only the monitor/keyboard/mouse will be moved to a cart.

I always thought that having the keyboard on an attached shelf was insane because vibrations are an issue during scanning. So I have mine on a small anthrocart sitting next to the SOLiD.

--
      Phillip

Comment

Hey Philip, Sorry I missed you...thanks for the correction...

...you don't happen to run a service lab and have a ponytail do you...if so I sat next to you on Day 1.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses