No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing duplicates from 16S RNA data

Hello All,

I would like to start a pipeline to analyse 16S RNA data, however I am not sure weather to include the step of removing duplicates or not. The aim of metagenomics is to compare different samples and see how the microbiota is different within samples of different conditions/time points.

After aligning, each sequence will match a sequence from a database, which will be then mapped to a bacteria and assigned taxonomy. the aim is to find how microbial content changes within each sample. If I removed duplicates, each sequence will be represented once, then taxonomy to this organism will be assigned once! so I am losing data here, which is the content of unknown bacteria in a sample with quantity for each one.

I am not sure if I am perceiving this right or not! I appreciate your comments.

Regards,
    Bioinfguy

Originally posted by mhadidi2002 View Post
    If I removed duplicates, each sequence will be represented once, then taxonomy to this organism will be assigned once! so I am losing data here, which is the content of unknown bacteria in a sample with quantity for each one.
    I think you just answered your own question. No, do not remove duplicates for 16S metagenomics studies.

Comment

Thanks Kmcarr for the reply. I am asking because in mothur pipeline they do remove duplicates, that's why I am confused. Do you know why they are doing such so?
      if you go to the link: http://www.mothur.org/wiki/MiSeq_SOP and searched by "unique.seqs" you will find it!

Comment

Thanks Kmcarr for the reply. I am asking because in mothur pipeline they do remove duplicates, that's why I am confused. Do you know why they are doing such so?
        if you go to the link: http://www.mothur.org/wiki/MiSeq_SOP and searched by "unique.seqs" you will find it!
        The tutorial explains why they are doing it, for efficiency. They keep a single copy of each unique sequence so that you only have to align that sequence to your reference once. But notice that in this process you also create a file with the counts of each unique sequence in the original data set which is used later in the analysis so you have not lost that abundance data. A more apt name for this is "collapsing duplicates" as opposed to "removing duplicates".

Comment

But notice that in this process you also create a file with the counts of each unique sequence in the original data set which is used later in the analysis so you have not lost that abundance data.
          Fastx has a tool called fastq_collaper which output a fasta file like this:

>1-934
          CCTACGGGAGGCAGCAGTGAGGAATATTGGTCAATGGGCGGAAGCCTGAA
          >2-915
          CCTACGGGAGGCAGCAGTGGGGAATATTGCACAATGGGGGAAACCCTGAT

This means that sequence no. 1 has 934 duplicates. when I use this to align against database, the aligner consider 1-934 to be the sequence ID, will not know that it has 934 duplicates. How can I use this in further analysis to keep the abundance?

Comment

Fastx has a tool called fastq_collaper which output a fasta file like this:

>1-934
            CCTACGGGAGGCAGCAGTGAGGAATATTGGTCAATGGGCGGAAGCCTGAA
            >2-915
            CCTACGGGAGGCAGCAGTGGGGAATATTGCACAATGGGGGAAACCCTGAT

This means that sequence no. 1 has 934 duplicates. when I use this to align against database, the aligner consider 1-934 to be the sequence ID, will not know that it has 934 duplicates. How can I use this in further analysis to keep the abundance?
            Are you using Mothur or are you using your own custom pipeline? If you are using your own then you will need to figure out a way to add the count information back into your analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by kmcarr View Post
              Are you using Mothur or are you using your own custom pipeline? If you are using your own then you will need to figure out a way to add the count information back into your analysis.
              I am using my custom pipeline. so you mean that if I used mothur pipeline, they keep this in consideration to the rest of pipeline, but if I am using my pipeline I have to write a script that do this.. cool. Thnaks for the help!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses