No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FeatureCounts high counts with strand 0,1,2 option

Dear featureCounts developers,

I am working on RNASeq data which is generated using Truseq straded HT kit.

I have done removing adapters and aligned reads using STAR 2 pass mode.

And ran feature counts (subread 1.5.1) using -s option three times 0,1 and 2. More reads were mapped to features when I specified -s as "0". But rseqc infer it as reverse stranded.

Here are the commands which I used:

featureCounts -t exon -s 1 -T 12 -g gene_id -a genes.gtf -o featurecounts.txt sample.starAligned.sortedByCoord.out.bam

sum of counts : 34133722

featureCounts -t exon -s 2 -T 12 -g gene_id -a genes.gtf -o featurecounts.txt sample.starAligned.sortedByCoord.out.bam

sum of counts : 34029447

featureCounts -t exon -s 0 -T 12 -g gene_id -a genes.gtf -o featurecounts.txt sample.starAligned.sortedByCoord.out.bam

sum of counts : 63157326

Am I using parameters correctly? And summing up counts on 7th column of featurecounts output.Is this right way to predict strand?

Few observations:

I observed %GC (49 - 55%) and few overrepresented sequences which are showing as "no hit" in fastqc output. Out of 95% properly paired only 70% were showing as "uniquely mapped" and 20-30% were multimapped.

Out of that, Only 20-30% mapped reads were assigned to featureCounts in "-s 2" mode (reverse).

Since our data is from trueseq library. It should be reverse stranded.
    And we should not get high number of counts for both -s 1 and -s 2 options for strand specific data.

Could you please suggest how can I resolve this issue.

Thanks In Advance
    Fazulur Rehaman

Your data is most likely reverse stranded if the kit uses dUTP method.
    Confirm this by looking at your reads in IGV. For this, index your .bam files with e.g. samtools (command: samtools index input.bam output.bai).
    In IGV, right click the read area and select alignment color by read strand.

Therefore you should count with featureCounts(strandSpecific = 2) in R, or -s 2 in BASH for reverse strandedness.
    Last edited by RevTK; 04-26-2018, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses