Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get the output for each mapped read from TopHat?

For the Tophat output file "junctions.bed", every line represents a single junction when mapping short sequencing reads to the genome. Each junction consists of two connected BED blocks, where each block is as long as the maximal overhang of any read spanning the junction (from TopHat manual).

For the following line,

chr20 257975 259040 JUNC00000002 6 - 257975 259040 255,0,0 2 49,70 0,995

it means 6 reads are mapped to this junction site. The limits of the two blockes, 257975 to 258024 (Block1) and 258970 to 259040 (Block2), were defined by any of the reads that spanning farthest at this junction site. Here is the problem. I want to know the start and end position for each of the 6 reads. So, the one line above may need to be expanded to 6 lines, with each line specifying the mapping position for each read.

The present Tophat can not generate the results I need. It seems that tophat produces some temporary files when running. Is there any way I can generate the results I need from these temporary file? Does anybody has similar experience, or knows any other program that can give the results I want?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Parse the BAM output file for spliced reads that overlap your blocks.

Comment

Hi ShaunMahony,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I am not familiar with BAM. Could you please give a bit more detailed explanation?

I appreciate it.

David

Comment

I don't know TopHat, but BEDTools can take a bam file, and intersect it with a .bed file, and output the .bam entries that overlap the .bed file intervals.

Something like:

BEDTools/bin/intersectBed -abam TopHat.bam -b junctions.bed > junctions.bam

Comment

swbarnes2 -- yes that is a good idea, but the bed files produced by tophat describe splice junctions. So doing a simple overlap with a BAM could return all reads that are between the junction coordinates (including over introns and skipped exons), not just the reads that overlap the exon-exon boundary. I haven't used BEDTools, so I don't know how it will handle junction bed files.

davidehs -- I don't know of any other software tool to do exactly what you want, but it would be easy to write a simple script to parse the BAM file for junction reads that overlap block coordinates of interest (converting the BAM to SAM using samtools would allow you to text parse in perl or python, etc).

On the other hand, if you are just interested in a handful of junctions, why don't you just view the BAM file in a genome browser (UCSC?) and that should show you where all the reads start.

Comment

It seems that I have to spend some time to get familiar with SAM, BAM, and BEDTools. They look pretty tough. Hope I can get through them soon.

Thanks for you guys help.

David

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses