Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genomics Research Adviser and Bioinformatics Skill Trainer for almost blind student

Tutors for Linux, R, Bioconductor, Perl, Python and/or Cytoscape for yeast microarray analysis, next generation sequencing and constructing gene interaction networks

Hi

I am a visually impaired bioinformatics graduate student using microarray data for my master’s thesis aimed at deciphering the mechanism by which the yeast wild type can suppress the rise of free reactive oxygen species (ROS) induced by caloric restriction (CR) but the Atg15 and Erg6 knockout mutant cannot.

Since my remaining vision is very limited I need very high magnification. But that makes my visual field very small. Therefore I need somebody to teach me how to use these programming environments, especially for microarray analysis, next generation sequencing and constructing gene and pathway interaction networks. This is very difficult for me to figure out without assistance because Zoomtext, my magnification and text to speech software, on which I am depending because I am almost blind, has problems reading out aloud many programming related websites to me. And even those websites it can read, it can only read sequentially from left to right and then from top to bottom. Unfortunately, this way of acquiring, finding, selecting and processing new information and answering questions is too tiresome, exhausting, ineffective and especially way too time consuming for graduating with a PhD in bioinformatics before my funding runs out despite being severely limited by my visual disability. I would also need help with writing a good literature review and applying the described techniques to my own yeast Affimetrix microarray dataset because I cannot see well enough to find all relevant publications on my own.

Since I am legally blind the rehab agency is giving me money to pay tutors for this purpose. Could you please help me getting in touch regarding this with anybody, who could potentially be interested in teaching me one on one thus saving me time for acquiring new information and skills, which I need to finish my thesis on time, so that I can remain eligible for funding to continue in my bioinformatics PhD program despite being almost blind? The tutoring can be done remotely via TeamViewer 5 and Skype. Hence, it does not matter where my tutors are physically located. Currently I have tutors in Croatia and UK. But since they both work full time jobs while working on their PhD dissertation they only have very limited time to teach me online. Could you therefore please forward this request for help to anybody, who could potentially be interested or, who could connect me to somebody, who might be, because my graduation and career depend on it? Who else would you recommend me to contact regarding this? Where else could I post this because I am in urgent need for help?

I thank you very much in advance for your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, recommendations, time, help, efforts and support.

With very warm regards,

Thomas Hahn
    Cell phone: 318 243 3940
    Email: [email protected]
    Skype ID: tfh002
    Office: 501 682 1440

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses