Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40bp paired reads for novel transcripts identification, which software?

I have some 40bp paired reads RNAseq data, basically that 40 x 2 from each RNA fragment.

It seems to me that, tophat prefers reads that is longer than 25. Is there some software that you recommend and can use such short reads to identify novel transcripts?

Or should I just cut the reads into 3 piece of 13bp long? It seems a little crazy to me. but considering it allow at most 1 junction, then, it seems to me that the method might work?

Any suggestions, fellows?

My understanding of how Tophat works is that if it can't align the entire read it divides it into (by default) 25bp chunks and tries to align those separately. You can change the size they get split into, maybe set it to 20bp so then each of your reads will get split in half.

Comment

For new transcript detection, try reference-based transcriptome assembly like cufflinks

Comment

thanks, that is what I am thinking. It seems to me that tophat works better with 3 pieces, that is why they recommend a minimal 75 = 25 x 3 read length.

Now, I am not sure whether I should try cut into 3 pieces or 2 pieces: 13 x 3 or 20 x 2.

Comment

Thanks, I will probably go with cufflinks later.

but that is next step. right now the main issue to me is about the alignment.
          The alignment needs to be optimized at the fist place before cufflinks works. It seems to me that 40bp is too short for alignment software optimized for novel transcript identification.

Originally posted by NicoBxl View Post
          For new transcript detection, try reference-based transcriptome assembly like cufflinks

Comment

I don't think tophat necessarily works better with 3 segments for each read, do you see that somewhere? But I know that if your sequences get too short it gets harder to get specific alignments. I would try 2x20 (or try both and compare). There may be other options to change to optimize for shorter reads as well.

Comment

I am now more inclined to use 20 x 2 now. But probably I will try both, computation facility is free for me any way.

I can't find a source now to support the point: 3-piece is better, but I believe I saw it somewhere before.

Here is a not so strong support

"TopHat generates its database of possible splice junctions from two sources of evidence. The first and strongest source of evidence for a splice junction is when two segments from the same read (for reads of at least 45bp) are mapped at a certain distance on the same genomic sequence or when an internal segment fails to map"

It seems to me that, if you have 3 pieces, you are more likely to have two pieces mapped to two adjacent exons. If you have only two pieces, the only possible way is that, the splicing junction is right in the middle of the read, thus is less likely to happen. But, I couldn't find a formal statement from a paper or the tophat website to support this point.

Originally posted by biznatch View Post
              I don't think tophat necessarily works better with 3 segments for each read, do you see that somewhere? But I know that if your sequences get too short it gets harder to get specific alignments. I would try 2x20 (or try both and compare). There may be other options to change to optimize for shorter reads as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sqcrft View Post
                I have some 40bp paired reads RNAseq data, basically that 40 x 2 from each RNA fragment.

It seems to me that, tophat prefers reads that is longer than 25. Is there some software that you recommend and can use such short reads to identify novel transcripts?

Or should I just cut the reads into 3 piece of 13bp long? It seems a little crazy to me. but considering it allow at most 1 junction, then, it seems to me that the method might work?

Any suggestions, fellows?
                You can try STAR with --seedSearchStartLmax 20 or smaller (this effectively defines the "segment" length). Even though you are looking for novel transcripts, I would highly recommend "mapping with annotations" as it reduces the misalignment rate.

Comment

Thanks, that is what I am doing now.
                  I am using the ensembl gtf as reference, also split reads in to 2 piece of 20bp.

other option I am using is to set maximal intron size at 5kb to reduce false discovery due to short 40bp reads. and "--coverage-search"

Originally posted by alexdobin View Post
                  You can try STAR with --seedSearchStartLmax 20 or smaller (this effectively defines the "segment" length). Even though you are looking for novel transcripts, I would highly recommend "mapping with annotations" as it reduces the misalignment rate.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses