Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quality scores discrepancy on wikipedia

I am modifying code that automatically guesses the scoring method used in a fastq file. I am using the wikipedia entry for guidance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FASTQ_format).

But the example they show has some discrepancies. In the top part of the image illumina-1.5+ scores start at position 66. But at the bottom of the image it starts at they start at 67.

The bigger problem I am having is that some fastqs that I am looking at have quality scores of 'i' which is not consistent with any of the scoring methods listed on wikipedia.

Can anyone clear this up for me? Is there a better source than wikipedia for this information?

Thanks.
    Last edited by dphansti; 04-18-2013, 05:12 PM.
    Doug
    www.sharedproteomics.com

Read the note in the wiki. B doesn't really mean 2, it means crappier than 2, or it means the end of the read is poor.

Starting in Illumina 1.5 and before Illumina 1.8, the Phred scores 0 to 2 have a slightly different meaning. The values 0 and 1 are no longer used and the value 2, encoded by ASCII 66 "B", is used also at the end of reads as a Read Segment Quality Control Indicator.[6] The Illumina manual[7] (page 30) states the following: If a read ends with a segment of mostly low quality (Q15 or below), then all of the quality values in the segment are replaced with a value of 2 (encoded as the letter B in Illumina's text-based encoding of quality scores)... This Q2 indicator does not predict a specific error rate, but rather indicates that a specific final portion of the read should not be used in further analyses. Also, the quality score encoded as "B" letter may occur internally within reads at least as late as pipeline version 1.6
    So C, or 3, is the lowest true quality value you can get in that encoding system.

If you have an "i", maybe you have a new read generated with new improved chemistry, which some quality scores of 41, that have for some reason been converted to the old quality scoring.

Comment

In fact, Solexa and Illumina scores cover the whole of the printable ASCII alphabet (0-93) like Phred. However, mostly the scores are from 0-40, but with the new instruments you will often find scores above 40. If you read the wiki entry carefully it actually says so. Guessing correct encoding is a pest.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses