Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• life sciences prep challenge -- thoughts?

So I've been checking out the life sciences grand challenge : speed

( specifically this challenge is to reduce the prep time involved in the DNA of these machines from 10 to 4 hours )

I'm looking at you guys as some of the best in the business as I don't have access to these machines.

It seems that the most significant areas which could contribute to time cuts would be the PCR ( using preheated baths / microfluidics ) and prepping the input sample as to give the correct DNA concentration in the yields.

I'm interested in what the folks around here have to say about how difficult this would be or if you'd happen to have recommendations as to what protocol to hack for the best returns on time reduction.

For libraries that I generate, PCR is the quickest and easiest step. There is no real reason to overly complicate this step with microfluidics. A standard tcycler is cheap and found in every lab already.

Most NGS DNA libraries:

DNA -> fragment, clean up -> multiple enzyme steps with clean ups (End repair, dA tail, ligation, etc) -> size selection (gel, Pippin prep) -> quick low cycle PCR -> library validation with BioA, qPCR.

The best and quickest method has been what Epicentre came up with, Nextera. DNA -> fragmentation to ligation in one quick and easy step -> quick low cycle PCR -> validation.

It will be hard to get better and easier than that...

Comment

so lets break this down into steps

1) Nextera. DNA
      This kit ? It mentions Illumina .. does it work for the Ion PGM?

2) Fragmentation to ligation in one quick and easy step
      This sounds like its part of the kit? or a machine operation?

3) quick low cycle PCR
      Did some googling and this doesn't seem like its run-of-the-mill PCR ... So do I need a special machine?

4) validation
      I think this is the quantitation step ( the DNA / liquid ratio )?

BTW ! thanks for digging back into these articles!
      Last edited by delinquentme; 12-09-2011, 09:46 AM. Reason: added thanks!

Comment

The Nextera protocol gives very broad size ranges. The first time we ran it the library looked so strange we didn't even sequence it.

Comment

yeahh I think the PGM needs really specific lengths too?

Comment

Nextera was developed for 454, Illumina, et al. It could be used for the PGM, you do the library prep and do a size selection.

For your question, you mention PCR. Do you mean PCR or the emulsion PCR?

Comment

so im lost right now is low-cycle PCR == emulsion PCR?

Im 90% sure that the sequencer needs consensus sequences so it requires amplification .. but I was hoping I could get some specific PGM knowledge here with regards to what is needed

Comment

PCR is needed in the library prep and emPCR is needed to put the library onto the beads for sequencing.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses