No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FastQC Qualty Control Calculation

Dear All,

I would like to known how quality score is calculated in FastQC for "per base sequence Quality" plot.

Thanks,
    Reema Singh

The "Help > Contents... > Analysis Modules > Per Base Sequence Quality" section should answer your question. This plot gives a lot of different kinds of statistical data including mean (blue line), inter-quartile range (yellow boxes) and median (red line).

Comment

The quality scores themselves aren't calculated by FastQC - they're taken directly from the fastq files and are added by the base calling software of the sequencing platform. They're basically a measure of the signal to noise for each base call. The exact implementation will vary depending on the sequencing platform (and they normally don't tell you exactly how it's done). If you want to know more about the meaning of the scores you can look at the quality section of the wikipedia fastq article which describes this pretty well.

Comment

Hello Simon and blakeoft

Thanks, It helps.

Regards
        Reema Singh

Comment

Trinity-Duplicate removal

Dear All,

I am using trinity for transcriptomics assembly. I have few queries:-

1) have two condition(Control and Treated) and each condition has 4 replicates. so if I merge these .fq files together, how the generated assembly from this merged .fq file would be better than the assembly generated from single(using only one replicate) sample?

2) Do I need to remove duplicates from individual fastq file before merging or after merging them together?

3) I saw there is a script "fasta_remove_duplicates" in the trinity folder. So is there any chance that "In-silico-normalization" in trinity take care of these duplicate reads?

I would appreciate any explanations.

Comment

Originally posted by reema View Post
            Dear All,

I am using trinity for transcriptomics assembly. I have few queries:-

1) have two condition(Control and Treated) and each condition has 4 replicates. so if I merge these .fq files together, how the generated assembly from this merged .fq file would be better than the assembly generated from single(using only one replicate) sample?

2) Do I need to remove duplicates from individual fastq file before merging or after merging them together?

3) I saw there is a script "fasta_remove_duplicates" in the trinity folder. So is there any chance that "In-silico-normalization" in trinity take care of these duplicate reads?

I would appreciate any explanations.
            Reema: Consider moving this to a new thread since it is not related to your original query. Many people are not going to see this question otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
              Reema: Consider moving this to a new thread since it is not related to your original query. Many people are not going to see this question otherwise.
              Thanks,

Now I posted as a new thread.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses