Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should be included to make a good transcriptome/RNA-seq paper?

Dear All,
    I have done analyses on RNA-seq data that finds putative isoforms, differentially expressed genes/isoforms and gives a more complete picture of a tissues transcriptome.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what is a "must have" inside a good transcriptome paper.

I have dabbled with bowtie/tophat/cufflinks/deseq,edgeR,DEGSeq and some others packages and now it is time to write something up.

It seems there are many options and things I could include out there and I would be interested in some views from other transcriptomers.

Thank you,

John.

Biological questions

A paper should be centered around a biological question that you are interested in or is related to your research or grant. RNA-Seq is just one of many tools for conducting scientific research. The items that must be in a paper are dictated by what you are presenting in your paper. Experimental design, replicates, statistical analyses, table of statistics of your next gen data, the inherent assumptions you are making to simplify the analysis (what do you do with the multiple mapped reads?) the programs you are using to do the analysis (tophat, cufflinks). Pretty much everything that is needed for another group to reproduce your results.

Comment

More biology

Which public database will be deposited novel sequences? What are the gene ID numbers for the genes under discussion--the uniqur NCBI gene ID number inherently connotes species information. Including this information in the abstract will get your article more usefully text-mined, especially by sequence annotators.

Comment

Thank you for your replies and advice.
        Interesting what you say about NCBI gene id, as this is a number (if you mean Gene Entrez ID). I have not seen many manuscripts that report genes in abstracts this way. Though that could be showing how little I read.

As for biology. We are interested in certain tissues under certain conditions and how they react transcriptionally. I made the assumption about biology and was more aiming towards what should definitely be included bioinformatically.

No money for replicates, alas

Thank you.

Comment

If you don't have money for RNA-seq replicates, make sure you have multiple qRT-PCR replicates.

Comment

Originally posted by poisson200 View Post
            Interesting what you say about NCBI gene id, as this is a number (if you mean Gene Entrez ID).
            Text miners and annotators claim this number is gold, but seem reluctant to advance this insight to authors at large. At least one computationally big database outside NCBI I am familiar with uses it to normalize gene names across species and when authors place it in (open access) abstracts, this eliminates issues about copyright. As an experiment that can be replicated at any scale, I've performed manual sequence searches which save seconds or more of compute time when species info is included.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses