Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miseq index reads missing

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem before. I recently tried to sequence a library containing 4 barcodes on the Miseq (using custom forward, reverse, and index primers and the 2x151 kit). On my sample sheet (below), I only put 8 Ns (the length of my barcode) under "Index" since I was just going to manually demultiplex later. However, it looks like only 302 cycles completed since there are only 302 folders in the BaseCalls/L001 folder. Does this mean that the index run never completed? If not, can I still recover those reads?

Using Illumina RTA 1.13.56

[Header]
    Investigator Name D
    Project Name t
    Experiment Name t2
    Date 11/1/12
    Workflow Resequencing
    Assay TruSeq DNA/RNA
    Description
    Chemistry Default
    [Reads]
    [Settings]
    CustomRead1PrimerMix C1
    CustomIndexPrimerMix C2
    CustomRead2PrimerMix C3
    OnlyGenerateFASTQ 1
    [Data]
    Sample_ID Sample_Name Sample_Plate Sample_Well Sample_Project Index Description GenomeFolder
    t2 t2 NA NA t NNNNNNNN first_try_at_t C:\Illumina\MiSeq Reporter\Genomes\PhiX\Illumina\RTA\Sequence\Chromosomes

I couldn't seem to find the answer to this question elsewhere, but sorry if I missed it and thank you for your help.

Can you look at the RunInfo.xml file (in the runfolder). If the software correctly parsed your samplesheet, it should read:

<Reads>
    <Read NumCycles="151" Number="1" IsIndexedRead="N" />
    <Read NumCycles="7" Number="2" IsIndexedRead="Y" />
    <Read NumCycles="151" Number="3" IsIndexedRead="N" />

Comment

The MiSeq treats barcode reads differently than the HiSeq and one way to do this is to modify the MiSeq Reporter.exe.config file to include the "CreateFastqForIndexReads" setting. This is described in the MiSeq Reporter User Guide in the "MiSeq configurable settings" section.

This will give you the barcode reads as a separate fastq file, instead of being in the sequence header, like the HiSeq.

You can modify this file, restart the MiSeq Reporter service, and reanalyze your run with MSR.

Comment

Thank you both for your help. Unfortunately, RunInfo.xml looks like this:

<Reads>
        <Read NumCycles="151" Number="1" IsIndexedRead="N" />
        <Read NumCycles="151" Number="2" IsIndexedRead="N" />
        </Reads>
        <FlowcellLayout LaneCount="1" SurfaceCount="1" SwathCount="1" TileCount="12" />

so it appears MSR parsed the sample sheet incorrectly and the index read was skipped. Regardless, I'll try Number6's strategy of configuring Miseq Reporter to output a separate fastq for index reads (if not for this run, at least for the next). Also, I guess that in the future I'll input the actual index sequences. Is there anything else I should try? Thanks again.

Comment

I am also going to try the "CreateFastqForIndexReads" as that will solve some of the post-analysis work I do to generate the three files.

When starting a run, after you upload the SampleSheet, the next screen shows how the SampleSheet is parsed. I would add that you should double-check that the # cycles for read1, index and read2 are correctly read.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses