No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sRNA Normalization wiht RPM, help!

Dear Members

I´m just starting my postdoctoral fellow and my new proyect involve sRNA Deep Seq. I´m having problems with the data normalization.
    I´ve been reading papers about it and the variety of normalization method is huge!
    The simplest one that I found is by TPM or RPM (transcript per millon or reads per millon), in which each raw read count is multipled by 1 millon and then divided bu the total read count of the whole library.
    The question is: which library!?
    I have 3 treatments. In one of them, the number of raw seq were 10 millons. After filtered of adaptor, length < 15nt, # <3 count, we generate 8 millons of mappable reads. Then, once we mapped against Arabidopsis genome, 3 libraries were generated. The mapped mRNA, tRNA, rRNA, RFAm, Repbase library (5.7 millon; 72%); the custom virus we sent library (20; 0%) and the miRNA (sRNA) library (2.3 millon; 28%). On the 3 treatments the numbers were diferent and always the miRNA library was smaller than the mRNA library.
    In order to a direct compare between data set, we have to normalized the counts. If I want to do it with RPM, which library do I have to use? The total mappable reads (including mRNA, tRNA, etc) or only the miRNA library?
    I have notized that the result is very different with one or the other, because the percentage of the libraries are not the same between treatments.

Any hint you can provide me will help me a lot.
    Thanks in advance

Hi,

Sorry to ask you this but, have you got any answer to this question?

Thanks

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses