Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawkeye too slow to use on laptop

I've seen some passing mention of Hawkeye being too slow, and that is my current dilemma. I installed the latest AMOS (3.1.0) successfully on Mac OS X 10.6.8, and even though I have 8 Gb of RAM, I find Hawkeye very slow. It stops for long periods to load reads (my ace file is 1.9 Gb). I like the functionality of Hawkeye (I am interested in checking assembly and correcting if needed), but I cannot put up with the slow performance when I want to scan contigs.
    The reason I tried Hawkeye was because Consed would not load the ace file (originally a velvet .afg file that I converted with amos2ace - but it does not work very well and gave up part way through the phd descriptions). I normally like to use consed, but I did not know how best to deal with the ace file errors, so I looked at AMOS/Hawkeye. Even Geneious would accept the ace file, so I guess Consed is being picky.
    I realise that the obvious solution to increase performance is to give up on a laptop and use better hardware, but I would first like to know if others have similar issues with Hawkeye - and if so, what solutions they found, if any. I note that Gap5 is very fast, so why is Hawkeye so slow?

Regards, Mike DS

Edit: so if Hawkeye is so slow with .afg files, why can't it open BAM files? I ended up using Tablet (had to convert the .afg to a BAM file). That runs fine on my laptop (macbook pro).
    Last edited by Mike DS; 12-15-2013, 12:41 PM.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses