Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What linux spreadsheet program can you open .sam files in?

Tried opening it in libre office calc but the program just freezes

Are we talking about an alignment file? Why do you want to open it in a spreadsheet program? If you need to make a change there may be an alternate option available.

Comment

Well, you can probably open it in libre office if it's small enough (it does read it into memory). Why you would actually want to do that is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
        Well, you can probably open it in libre office if it's small enough (it does read it into memory). Why you would actually want to do that is beyond me.
        Basically to write a program

Comment

You really don't want to write macros to deal with data of this size. Try python/perl/C/whatever. You can use R, if you prefer, but I think it usually reads everything into memory too.

Comment

You really don't want to write macros to deal with data of this size. Try python/perl/C/whatever. You can use R, if you prefer, but I think it usually reads everything into memory too.
            I'm actually trying to write in python. How do I notate a certain variable in a sam file (I'm very new to python bioinformatics).

Comment

Generally something like the following will work:

Code:
              import csv

sam = csv.reader(open("foo.sam","r"), dialect="excel-tab")
              for line in sam :
                  print("QNAME: %s" % (line[0]))
                  print("Sequence: %s" % (line[9]))
              So, just use the column number. You can also use pysam, which makes some things much easier. If you're comfortable with C, I can also recommend the samtools C API. If you need higher performance, you'll find it quite useful.

Comment

Generally something like the following will work:

Code:
                import csv

sam = csv.reader(open("foo.sam","r"), dialect="excel-tab")
                for line in sam :
                    print("QNAME: %s" % (line[0]))
                    print("Sequence: %s" % (line[9]))
                So, just use the column number. You can also use pysam, which makes some things much easier. If you're comfortable with C, I can also recommend the samtools C API. If you need higher performance, you'll find it quite useful.
                So that's basically exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Comment

Glad I could help. BTW, I didn't deal with the header in my example. You might check "if(len(line) > 5): stuff" or check for a @ as the first character to get past the header (unless you want to parse it).

Comment

Glad I could help. BTW, I didn't deal with the header in my example. You might check "if(len(line) > 5): stuff" or check for a @ as the first character to get past the header (unless you want to parse it).
                    Right, I'll have to figure out some of the details. Right now, I just have an idea what I want to perform, but no real idea how to execute. But I did just read through a tutorial that kind of went over the sort of info you presented, I was just unaware that you could do this directly to a sam file.

Comment

You might want to consider the pysam module: http://wwwfgu.anat.ox.ac.uk/~andreas...tools/api.html and https://code.google.com/p/pysam/

(EDIT: I see Devon already suggested this - apologies for the duplication0
                      Last edited by LeightonP; 12-10-2013, 02:30 PM. Reason: Noticed duplication of advice.

Comment

Visualize Bam

FYI: I wrote a simple java-based GUI to visualize some BAMS: https://github.com/lindenb/jvarkit/wiki/BamViewGui

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                        • seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                        0 responses