No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLC BIO for detecting indels in ION Torrent PGM data

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone has some experience with using the CLC BIO genomics workbench to call indels in ion torrent PGM data? Did you encounter a lot of false positives in homopolymer regions?

I heard that it might be a good idea to remap your data with different settings (different penalty values for gap extension, gap opening, ...) before you search for indels? Any thougths on that?

We use CLCbio - and the current version (both 5.5 Beta and 5.1 Stable) has options for homopolymer filtering for SNP/Indel calling with 454 and Ion Torrent data. We haven't verified these indels by Sanger (yet) - but if you disable the homopolymer filter you will see a lot more false positives pop up in your results. The filter CLC has developed for homopolyers works pretty well in my experience.

Try doing your read mapping with tmap3 on the Torrent Server - export SAM/BAM - and do the variant/indel calling using CLCbio and compare to read mapping done with CLCbio's mapper. The results are generally pretty consistent.

Remapping with different settings I don't think is a good idea. I'm assuming you are suggesting making gap penalties for opening/extension higher? This is going to muck up the read mapping and you'll likely get lower coverage overall. If I were to do it, I would want it to be done empiraccly: i.e. vary each penalty independently and measure the effects across a couple of targeted regions that both include/exclude homopolymer stretches in the reference genome. This way you could see what the effects are of playing with your gap penalties a bit more objectively.

What settings are you using for read mapping? What's your desired coverage? What is the genome you are mapping to? Also - how big are these InDels?

The only way to know for sure is to follow up with Sanger sequencing or another NGS approach. This is largely true for any NGS platform.
    @bioinformer
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanjacobs

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
    0 responses