No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• analyze 16S metagenomic 200bp data to species level

Hi everyone,
    i've got 200bp metagenomic data based on V3 region and i'm currently using QIIME to analyze it... but i reach family level by default.

I would like to reach species level if possibile, or at least try it... so i've found in the QIIME forum a modified version of the RDP taxonomic table that allow to assign taxonomy to the OTUs down to species level, but it worked for only 5% of my sequences, wile the remaining 95% stopped at genus or even family level.

I'm not a big expert in metagenomics, can you suggest me other tools that i can try in order to analyze my data down to species level and see if i can reach better results?

NCBI has a 16S database with all named type strains that you can BLAST against, though I would think if you got a high identity match to that the classifier should be able to predict it.

Another approach would be to identify full length sequences corresponding to your OTUs, then make trees with them and named species and infer the taxonomy from that.

Comment

If you have the funding I'd say try MEGAN, much easier to use and more accurate. If you don't have the funding you could always ask for periodical license (45 days) to use and try it and then say that you are not going to use it after all.

Comment

I assume that when you say "metagenomic data" in this context, you mean you have 16S rRNA data from mixed microbial communities.

If you are interested in species, you might check out speciate-it

Download speciateIT for free. speciateIT is a software package for speciation of 16S sequence data.

It uses markov models to try and mine down to finer taxonomic levels.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses