No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microarray Signal Intensity values Published data

Hi,
    I have one question regarding microarrays,I was checking Published data, and they published signal intensity values for Affymetrix Probe Ids
    NCBI's Gene Expression Omnibus (GEO) is a public archive and resource for gene expression data.

NCBI's Gene Expression Omnibus (GEO) is a public archive and resource for gene expression data.

I wanted to check the expression of certain genes in that dataset, so I annotated the Affy_Ids to Gene names

Eg:
    File Affy_Id Sig.Intensity Gene Species Description
    NEB_RA_rep1_annotate.txt: 1428888_at 130.05 tmem33 Mus musculus transmembrane protein 33
    NEB_RA_rep1_annotate.txt: 1436028_at 469.84 tmem33 Mus musculus transmembrane protein 33
    NEB_RA_rep2_annotate.txt: 1428888_at 104.99 tmem33 Mus musculus transmembrane protein 33
    NEB_RA_rep2_annotate.txt: 1436028_at 420.72 tmem33 Mus musculus transmembrane protein 33
    NEB_RA_rep3_annotate.txt: 1428888_at 67.26 tmem33 Mus musculus transmembrane protein 33
    NEB_RA_rep3_annotate.txt: 1436028_at 290 tmem33 Mus musculus transmembrane protein 33

I see that for each condition, there are two Affy_Ids annotating to the same gene , with different intensity values. Its confusing to judge the intensity value for a gene in particular condition..
    Any suggestions??

Not many genes have more than 1 probeset mapping to them.

In the cases where there is more than 1 probeset mapping to the gene,
    it could be that there was evidence for alternative splicing when the array was designed, and the different probesets may represent different transcripts.

Have a look at the Affymetrix web site, at the NetAffx analysis center, and the UCSC browser for more information.

Comment

Originally posted by mastal View Post
      Not many genes have more than 1 probeset mapping to them.

In the cases where there is more than 1 probeset mapping to the gene,
      it could be that there was evidence for alternative splicing when the array was designed, and the different probesets may represent different transcripts.

Have a look at the Affymetrix web site, at the NetAffx analysis center, and the UCSC browser for more information.
      There are other cases of genes where this kind of situation I can see.. But if thats the case of different transcripts.. seems like it wont give easy solution when we want to eye-pick the genes based on signal intensities and judge for the expression??

Comment

No, it's not easy for those type of cases.

Where did you get the probe annotations from?

Comment

Originally posted by mastal View Post
          No, it's not easy for those type of cases.

Where did you get the probe annotations from?
          I used DAVID gene_Id conversion tool to annotate affy_Id to gene_names

Comment

Signal Intensity?

Hello

Does the signal intensity value (Affy data) is the related with the expression value of genes? Also, I am curious to know if these value is comparable between different probe from 1 dataset and will help to conclude gene1 is expressed higher than gene2 ?

Thanks in advance.
            Last edited by jeni; 10-27-2014, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses