Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy number normalization in capture experiments?

Hello,

I'm trying to calculate rough copy number changes from our targeted (and generally deep) sequence of 3700 exons. However, I have a pretty substantial GC bias issue occurring in some of my samples. So far, I've just done rough bin normalization rather than a loess normalization. It seems that I can bring my data into the correct range, but that there's still a variance issue. I like what is suggested for corrections in the CNAnorm publication, but I feel unsure of how well it would work for such deep coverage localized to so few locations. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks,
    anjulka

I have had numerous conversations with the author, he states that although it was designed for low coverage, he has been running it on 30X with no issues. I can back this statement up and say the same. It does work but its a bit trickier, try to set the window size appropriately

Comment

Hi.

I am pleased to see that CNAnorm is considered also outside the task it was designed for.
      We are using CNAnorm for high coverage data and we do have a couple of capture experiments we'll be looking into.

Here some thoughts and observation that might help you.

- The most important aspect is to have the capture for a matched normal. It will partially balance the bias due to the capture.

- The capture is affected by CG content and some region with very high or very low GC content are not captured at all.

- Could be a good idea to "clean" your bam files so that reads are only from the expected target regions. You will get rid of all the windows with few off-target reads that would add noise and possibly make GC correction less efficient.

- looking at high coverage data, it seems there is some other bias on top of the GC content that we don't quite understand where it is coming from. It still seem somehow related to GC, but it is not linear (sometimes higher GC means more reads, sometimes fewer) It could be metilation, or something else... Anyway performing the GC correction decrease the noise.

In general, I don't see why CNAnorm should not work with your data. As I was suggesting here maybe start with relatively large windows (--window 100000) when using bam2windows.pl, However we did not have a capture experiment in mind while designing it and there might be some unforeseen difficulty.

Best of luck, and let me know
      Last edited by stefanoberri; 01-23-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses