No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Targeted Resequencing - Target file issues

Hello!
    After an intensive month following getting my targeting resequencing data, and working with this kind of data for the first time, going from panic attacks to "it's not so bad, I just didn't analyse correctly"; I have finally come to the point were I can pose some questions that actually make sense.
    I am using SureSelect target enrichment, in order to design my probes, I uploaded a file to the eArray service that looks like this (one line for each region):

chr1:1234-56789
    chr1:2345-98765... etc (1124 regions).

Now, I wanted to try aligning my results with BWA to exactly these regions. What I did was I uploaded these regions as custom tracks, then downloaded the sequences from the UCSC browser.
    Now, and this is where everything gets really stupid, all my little regions have the same identifier:
    >hg19_ct_UserTrack_3545_1 range=chr1:13456-19087 5'pad=0 3'pad=0 strand=+ repeatMasking=none
    so after I went through my whole workflow, and I tried to see my alignment using Tablet, things wouldn't work (no wonder).
    So, what did I do?
    As the lazy person I am (I wasn't going to do things manually, or with find and replace!), I decided to look in the threads here and found the one recommending Unix and Perl for Biologists, and I took a flash course during a weekend.
    So, I made a little Perl script that would add sequential numbers at the end of the region identifier (yeah, I know pretty pathetic, but I am so proud, kind of like reaching the top of the Himalayas), and I solved my problem temporarily.
    Now, I want my features in these target regions too, so I do the same procedure, download a GTF file and add numbers and try to open it in Tablet, but apparently there are no features matching to my sequences.

I probably have been doing this all wrong from the beginning, so if anyone could tell me, how to retrieve my target sequences so the identifiers are unique, and at the same time retrieve the features in this area - I also wanted to get information about variations in the target region, but I have not gotten that far, I guess it could be done all at the same time?

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses