Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNP or not

I used MAQ, VAAL and novoalign to map solexa reads on a reference genome . ouput of these softwares showed a delete or a SNP exist. but when I used Tablet for visualization and exploration of sequence assemblies, it seems information from alignment is not sufficient for the mutaion. why? which is right.
    thanks.

IMHO, the only way to validate a SNP is by PCR and first gen sequencing. Obviously you can only do this for a small minority of SNPs.

Comment

If you just want to visualize it, you might want to try the UCSC genome browser which allows you to plug in BAM files output from the aligners. I'm not sure how to do it exactly, as someone else set up the infrastructure I'm using.

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
        IMHO, the only way to validate a SNP is by PCR and first gen sequencing. Obviously you can only do this for a small minority of SNPs.
        You could use a lot of techniques to validate a snp! The traditional way of doing it is PCR + Sanger seq, but new techniques like Taq Man assay, Sequenom Assay, Allelic discrimination with a melting curve in QPCR, etc.!
        Nicolas Tremblay
        Graduate Student

Cardiovascular Genetics - Andelfinger Lab
        CHU Ste-Justine Research Center

Comment

What did you use to call the SNPs? Most tools are not very stringent in the default mode and require tweaking the parameters and/or perform downstream filters to improve the specificity.
          -drd

Comment

thanks for your reply

Originally posted by drio View Post
            What did you use to call the SNPs? Most tools are not very stringent in the default mode and require tweaking the parameters and/or perform downstream filters to improve the specificity.
            I want to find the genome difference between two bacterial strains and analysis the phenotype of them. I use samtools for downstream filter, is there other methods better? thanks

Comment

Illumina Goldengate

You could also use Illumina Goldengate technology to verify potential SNPs.
              Instead of performing a screen on a small number of SNPs on many genomes, you can perform it on many SNPs for 1 or 2 genomes.

Comment

Originally posted by biocc View Post
                I want to find the genome difference between two bacterial strains and analysis the phenotype of them. I use samtools for downstream filter, is there other methods better? thanks
                The samtools SNP calling protocol is a very good starting point. I assume you have a very deep coverage on your samples (since they are bacteria), so you probably want to make the
                varfilter parameters more stringent (start increasing the coverage necessary to call a snp). Do you have any expected mutation rate on your bacterias? insertions?

Notice the samtools' author has recently released a new version of samtools and pileup has been deprecated. mpileup is recommend now.
                -drd

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses