Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exonerate protein2dna:bestfit problem

Hello I'm having a problem to run the "protein2dna:bestfit" model in my 64 bit computer and under both Linux Cluster and Cygwin.
    For the Linux Cluster I've tried both the readymade executable and compiled code.

The program just quits without producing any output.

However it runs fine with my old 32 bit Ubuntu.

Did anybody face the same problem and any suggestions to solve it?

I'm approaching a deadline fast, so any help is much appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by woa; 08-26-2013, 08:15 AM.

You may not be using the appropriate settings for your data. Did you get an alignments when you use the basic protein2dna model (without the 'bestfit')?

Comment

Hello SES, Thanks for your answer. Yes, I'm getting perfect alignment when using just 'protein2dna' without the bestfit option.

Some details on the version, the command I used and input/output:

exonerate from exonerate version 2.2.0
      Using glib version 2.22.5
      Built on Aug 26 2013

The simple command I used :

Code:
      ./exonerate -m p2d:b -q test_protein.fasta -t test_dna.fasta --exhaustive yes
      The program just quits without producing any output as follows:

Code:
      ** (process:1922): WARNING **: Exhaustively generating suboptimal alignments will be VERY SLOW
      -- completed exonerate analysis
      The Pastebin single Protein and DNA file links are here:

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Thanks

Comment

Also note that I used both the readymade executable version and also compiled it on my own machine. I've used two sources for compilation. From the Ensemble CVS and also the tarball available from EBI.

Comment

In that case, I would just use the results you have with the basic protein2dna model. Is there a reason you think the bestfit model needs to be used? Note that with bestfit the entire protein must match (IIRC), and it could be that this is not possible with your data, so you get no alignments (when specifying the bestfit model).

Comment

I've used the same sequences in my 32 Bit Ubuntu to get proten2dna:bestfit alignment. The bestfit alignment is longer than the non-bestfit(as expected, as it aligned the whole length) of protein. I would like to get a global alignment to the protein, thats why I'm using it. If I could tweak some parameters for non-bestfit, so that the alignment is global-ish and close to bestfit then thats fine too. But i'm not sure which parameters( like gap-penalties may be) to tweak and to what extent.

Comment

There is also the affine:global model, for doing global alignments. Though, I'm not sure you can do protein-dna alignments with that model. It sounds like you got the protein2dna:bestfit working now? If not, I think you can just specify that you want exonerate to do exhaustive alignments and it will find the best possible.

Comment

No, protein2dna:bestfit is still not working

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses