Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with gDNA prep for PacBio

Our goal is to prep genomic DNA from S. cerevisiae to make either a 10kbp or 20kbp library. We have been having trouble with sample quality (either contamination or damage?) resulting in short PacBio reads (only about 1-2kbp). The library "looks good" - it was the expected size ~10kbp - but something else must be wrong...

It seems that very high quality gDNA is needed for good PacBio results. If anyone has a protocol that they would be willing to share for fungi, I'd appreciate it!

We have tried, Qiagen and Zymo research products, in addition to old-school glass beads / phenol-chloroform extraction.

Best,
    Jeffrey Skerker
    UC Berkeley

Hello Jeffrey,
    We have also had many instances in which our libraries look good but the results did not reflect that. How did the ZMW distribution looked?

In our case many of these samples had contamination issues and many were rescued using a Magbead cleanup. The protocol that we used to rescue the samples can be found on Pacbio's sample net.

Welcome to the PacBio Documentation + Protocols page. The table below allows you to search for and download the latest guides, protocols, product information, and more.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thank you for the reply! You did magbead cleanup of the SMRTbell library? I have been submitting samples to a sequence center, so unfortunately I don't have much control over what gets done, or what steps failed. I am trying to get more information to help troubleshoot my experiment.

It seems to me that the original gDNA can be cleaned up further - using powerclean Pro kit form MoBio, or do additional cleanup of the final library.
      Do you have a feeling for which approach is better?

The initial cleanup I can do - the latter would have to be done by the PacBio sequencing provider, but I could suggest that they do the additional cleanup step.

I found some posters from PacBio on the subject. I think they tried a few different cleanup methods (magbead, qiaquick, etc). So perhaps this is a common problem and should always be done as a final cleanup of the library before sequencing?

Are you part of a PacBio sequence center? If so, I could submit my samples to your center so at least I know they would be cleaned up if a problem arises? Or maybe suggest a center that you have had good success with?

Thanks again,

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,
        I sent you my answer in a private message. Let me know if you got it.

Comment

Hi Jeff, do you have a trace of the final library that is actually put on the SMRT cell?
          Might be that there simply are too many small fragments, which preferentially load on the machine.
          It's a bit of an obvious thing, since a seq center that regularly uses PacBio should know this and size select to retain only the longest fragments. But you never know..

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll check with the seq. center. We are trying again using gDNA that has been purified by a Qiagen Tip 20/G and then with powerclean from MoBio. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Jeff

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses