Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing htseq on a mac

I am trying to install htseq 5.3p9 on my mac (mountain lion, xcode 4.4.1) and i have run into a problem with clang? which i tried googling but am not sure how to proceed:

Code:
    building 'HTSeq._StepVector' extension
    clang -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -dynamic -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -mno-fused-madd -DENABLE_DTRACE -DMACOSX -DNDEBUG -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wshorten-64-to-32 -DNDEBUG -g -Os -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DENABLE_DTRACE -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -pipe -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/include/python2.7 -c src/StepVector_wrap.cxx -o build/temp.macosx-10.8-intel-2.7/src/StepVector_wrap.o -w
    clang++ -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -Wl,-F. -arch i386 -arch x86_64 build/temp.macosx-10.8-intel-2.7/src/StepVector_wrap.o src/step_vector.h -o build/lib.macosx-10.8-intel-2.7/HTSeq/_StepVector.so
    clang: warning: treating 'c-header' input as 'c++-header' when in C++ mode, this behavior is deprecated
    clang: error: cannot use 'precompiled-header' output with multiple -arch options
    clang: error: cannot specify -o when generating multiple output files
    error: command 'clang++' failed with exit status 1
    Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

I also tried install the latest HTseq package and get the same error or mountain lion. I did the install on our linux box running opensuse 11.3 and everything was fine. Anyone have suggestions for a os x install?

Comment

I have this same problem. Did you figure out any solutions?

Comment

Not yet, I sent an email to Dr. Anders, but he was out of office on vacation.

Comment

I was able to install just fine on a Mac running Snow Leopard.

Comment

Mac OS seems to have a habit of subtly messing up its Python installation (or more specifically: the interplay between Python and Xcode) when you update a release.

A user recently reported to me that he managed to solve the problem by typing

Code:
            export CC=llvm-gcc-4.2
            export CXX=llvm-g++-4.2
            before calling 'python setup.py install'.

Could somebody please confirm that this solves the issue? (I don't have a Mac so I cannot check.)

Out of curiosity, I would like to know if this problem is really tied to updating from an older Mac OS installation to a current one, or does it also occur with a fresh Mac?

Comment

For me it was a fresh Mac OS 10.8 (mountain lion). I installed xcode after the initial setup of the system.
              Last edited by harlock0083; 11-26-2012, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I did the following commands:

Code:
                export CC=llvm-gcc-4.2
                export CXX=llvm-g++-4.2
                python setup.py build
                but I still get the same error

clang: warning: treating 'c-header' input as 'c++-header' when in C++ mode, this behavior is deprecated
                clang: error: cannot use 'precompiled-header' output with multiple -arch options

python version is 2.7.2
                gcc version 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.11.00)
                on OS X 10.8

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Anders View Post
                  Could somebody please confirm that this solves the issue? (I don't have a Mac so I cannot check.)

Out of curiosity, I would like to know if this problem is really tied to updating from an older Mac OS installation to a current one, or does it also occur with a fresh Mac?
                  This worked for me. I am running 10.8.1 on a new iMac (i.e. fresh install) with XCode 4.4.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Anders View Post

Hi Simon, thanks for the advice. This worked for me. I'm running Mac OS X v 10.8.2, Xcode v. 4.5.2, python v. 2.7.2. I downloaded the source tarball (HTSeq-0.5.3p9.tar.gz) and unpacked. After changing into the directory of the unpacked HTSeq-0.5.3p9 my commands were:

Code:
                    $ export CC=llvm-gcc-4.2
                    $ export CXX=llvm-g++-4.2
                    $ python setup.py build
                    $ sudo python setup.py install --user
                    To test, I changed out of the directory containing setup.py, started python then typed
                    Code:
                    >>> import HTSeq
                    >>>
                    with no errors

Thanks,
                    Devin

Comment

I was able HTseq without errors now following devking's procedure.

Thank you!

Comment

I am also having errors installing HTseq on a brand new Mac Pro.

I have the following system:
                        Mac Pro (10.8.2)
                        Python (2.6.6)
                        xcode (4.5.2)

When attempting to install I get the following error:
                        $ python setup.py build
                        running build
                        running build_py
                        running build_ext
                        clang -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -dynamic -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -mno-fused-madd -DENABLE_DTRACE -DMACOSX -DNDEBUG -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wshorten-64-to-32 -DNDEBUG -g -Os -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DENABLE_DTRACE -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -pipe -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/include/python2.7 -c src/StepVector_wrap.cxx -o build/temp.macosx-10.8-intel-2.7/src/StepVector_wrap.o -w
                        /usr/bin/lipo: can't create output file: build/temp.macosx-10.8-intel-2.7/src/StepVector_wrap.o (Permission denied)
                        clang: error: lipo command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
                        error: command 'clang' failed with exit status 1

When I try to use the suggested addition:
                        $ export CC=llvm-gcc-4.2
                        $ python setup.py build

I get the follwoing:
                        $ python setup.py build
                        running build
                        running build_py
                        running build_ext
                        llvm-gcc-4.2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -dynamic -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -mno-fused-madd -DENABLE_DTRACE -DMACOSX -DNDEBUG -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wshorten-64-to-32 -DNDEBUG -g -Os -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DENABLE_DTRACE -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -pipe -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/include/python2.7 -c src/StepVector_wrap.cxx -o build/temp.macosx-10.8-intel-2.7/src/StepVector_wrap.o -w
                        cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for Ada/C/ObjC but not for C++
                        cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for Ada/C/ObjC but not for C++
                        lipo: can't create output file: build/temp.macosx-10.8-intel-2.7/src/StepVector_wrap.o (Permission denied)
                        error: command 'llvm-gcc-4.2' failed with exit status 1

It is a different error, but I am still not sure how to best progress. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Comment

Hi sboyle,

Try the setup.py build as root with sudo

$ export CC=llvm-gcc-4.2
                          $ sudo python setup.py build
                          Last edited by devking; 12-04-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Hello Devking,

When I run the suggested commands:
                            $ export CC=llvm-gcc-4.2
                            $ sudo python setup.py build

I get the following error:
                            clang++ -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -Wl,-F. -arch i386 -arch x86_64 build/temp.macosx-10.8-intel-2.7/src/StepVector_wrap.o src/step_vector.h -o build/lib.macosx-10.8-intel-2.7/HTSeq/_StepVector.so

Thank you for the help. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Try deleting the HTseq folder and just start over with the sudo commands.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses