Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNP base calling

My SNP data is from Sanger sequencing. Multiple samples cover varied regions, not necessary the same fragments. I performed alignment via bwasw and pileup via samtools.

What would be the differences between
    1. pileup multiple samples all together
    2. pileup one sample at a time?

Also, would QUAL score, DP, AC be affected dramatically?

mpileup doesnt give you an output at positions where there is no coverage. so if you want to compare different samples it might be more convenient to generate the pileup together.

Comment

I actually do not need to know the position when a sample doesn't cover that base.

Other than that, any else would make differences?

Comment

If a SNP is called in one sample, and not another, it is helpful to look at the other sample, to determine if that other sample really is wt, or if coverage was just too low for it to make the same SNP call, and doing mpileup together helps for that. Unfortunately, what's really helpful is the DP4 values, and mpileup combines them all, which can make it harder to assess the likelihood of each sample. Yes, you get a GQ, but the coverage is helpful as well.

Comment

I also notice that QUAL score tends to be much lower in one sample analysis than multiple samples analysis. Why is that way?

Comment

If you want to compare between samples, always pool samples together (i.e. generate mpileup across all samples). Mpileup skips sites where there is no coverage across ALL samples. On the other hand, swbarnes2 has the point that DP4 is combined. If you need that information, you may pool samples at first to find sites you are interested in and then run single-sample pileup to get DP4.

Comment

When I tried to pileup multiple samples together, even a sequence/read did not cover the SNP base was shown as het (1/0). That confused our conclusion.

How do I avoid that? Or how do I tell a het means a real one or means no-coverage?

Also, how do I use DP4 value?

Comment

How to use dp4 values ??

How to use dp4 values ??

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses