Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• survery: what assembler, gene prediction and gene annotation softwares do you use?

Hi everyone,
    i'm going to analize some Ion Torrent metagenomic data and have read a lot of posts about different softwares but i have very limited time and can't decide what one to try first.

Anyone tryed different softwares and can say what's the best one?

Please post the ones you use so i can give them a try

I usually run assembly with MIRA and it's working excellently, expecially the last developmental version 3.9.x, so i was tinking to stick with this one for the assembly.

Any suggestion for gene prediction and gene composition analysis tools?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Gorbenzer; 04-19-2013, 04:48 AM.

We've had good results with MetaIDBA. I'm burning to try metAMOS with SOAPdenovo. Also, have a look here.
    savetherhino.org

Comment

Thanks for the reply, metAMOS pipeline i think it's worth a try, any other suite/pipeline or tools for analyze gene composition??

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbenzer View Post
        Thanks for the reply, metAMOS pipeline i think it's worth a try, any other suite/pipeline or tools for analyze gene composition??
        Something like MG-RAST? Or more like local stuff? tRNAscan, FragGeneScan, standalone blast, blat, MEGAN, mothur, etc.. it really depends on what you plan to study..
        savetherhino.org

Comment

Originally posted by rhinoceros View Post
          Something like MG-RAST? Or more like local stuff? tRNAscan, FragGeneScan, standalone blast, blat, MEGAN, mothur, etc.. it really depends on what you plan to study..
          Local would be great, we have two servers for our analysis.

I'd like to try all the different approaces:
          - Try to assembly all the data to see if i can get draft genomes of a few highly present species;
          - Try to assembly all the data, predict ORFs and annotate them to obtain the gene pool of the sample;
          - Try to "annotate" all the single reads to find out what genes are higly represented in the sample.

I would love to try gene prediction and annotation (including GO, EC and pathway prediction if possible) softwares specific for metagenomic analysis.

Thx for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbenzer View Post
            Local would be great, we have two servers for our analysis.

I'd like to try all the different approaces:
            - Try to assembly all the data to see if i can get draft genomes of a few highly present species;
            - Try to assembly all the data, predict ORFs and annotate them to obtain the gene pool of the sample;
            - Try to "annotate" all the single reads to find out what genes are higly represented in the sample.

I would love to try gene prediction and annotation (including GO, EC and pathway prediction if possible) softwares specific for metagenomic analysis.

Thx for the help!
            Well in this case, you're pretty much doing what I'm doing then. I use FragGeneScan for predicting protein-coding genes from contigs. These I've blasted against ncbi's nr database. For tRNA prediction I used tRNAscan-SE (3 runs each optimized for one domain). rRNAs by blastn megablast against Silva's SSU and LSURef databases. The M5nr database will be updated quite soon. If you want to get GOs, KEGGs and such with just one search, I recommend you find out more about it. If you do your blasts with -outfmt 5 or 6 (recommended) flags, you can import your data into MEGAN for neat analyses and visualizations. For other ideas, perhaps look into what e.g. IMG/M and MG-RAST do in their pipelines.. don't forget to screen for human contamination..
            Last edited by rhinoceros; 04-19-2013, 08:38 AM.
            savetherhino.org

Comment

thx so much! i'll try to get started with this software

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
              0 responses