No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPKM = RPKM for single end reads?

Hi Readers,

I am a computer scientist and I am trying to understand the relationship between RPKM and FPKM. I have read this following thread and a lot of it, the biological parts, were going past me.

I ran an analysis using cufflinks/cuffdiff/cummeRbund on single ends read data. I have a cummerRbund scatter plot comparing biological condition A FMKM gene scores to biological condition B FPKM gene scores. Is this right? Or am I really comparing RPKM scores here since FPKM = RPKM when I have single reads?

If I am wrong, can someone please explain to me why they are not equivalent mathematically when given single end reads?

Thanks,
    GeekyOmega

Yes, FPKM==RPKM for single-end reads.

Comment

My understanding is that FPKM (as defined by cufflinks) approximates RPKM, but is not the same because cufflinks will distribute hits mapped to multiple transcripts across those transcripts based on the expected isoform frequencies (or possibly equally distributed).

Comment

FPKM will only approximate RPKM for paired-end reads, it will be identical for single-end reads.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:07 PM
        0 responses