No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Python API for VCF files

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share with you a prototype Python module for parsing and filtering VCF files. It was tested on pooled files generated by GATK UnifiedGenotyper (ie, they contain both pool-level and sample-level fields), but it shouldn't require much tweaking (if at all) for use with VCFs generated by other tools.

The module and a short tutorial can be downloaded from here:

Please let me know if you find it useful or have any comments/suggestions.

Cheers,
    Mikhail
    Last edited by mspivakov; 02-04-2011, 01:08 PM.

Have now fixed a minor bug in VCFfilter.
    Please re-download the module if you've already tried it.

Comment

I have a python VCF parser up on github, if that helps. Check the pyvcf documentation. There is an extensible VCF filter as well.

Comment

Just a quick update, I have released the last pyvcf in the 0.4 release http://pyvcf.readthedocs.org/en/late...Y.html#release

I'm now considering VCF 4.1 and SV support, if you have any experience with these types of data, help us flesh out the API:
        Some new metadata in VCF 4.1 spec, notably contigs. Added test data and tests, need to write code for this.

Comment

I just released PyVCF 0.5.0. This release brings VCF 4.1 Support, including support for structural variation and breakends. It includes many improvements to the VCF writer, a new utility vcf_melt and a new set of filters. You can see the full list of changes.

Thanks very much to @dzerbino, @lennax, @libor-m, @ilyaminkin and @martijnvermaat for help on this release.

Comment

Thanks for the lib casbon

Comment

Is it working with python 3.3 and if yes, where can I find instructions for installation?
              Last edited by FrankiB; 04-07-2014, 11:32 AM.

Comment

If you have setuptools installed, you can use:
                python setup.py install

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses