I am trying to make a python script that reads in a text file of pair end reads and then calls BWA mem on the pairs and outputs SAM files.
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
Why not just make it a shell script?
script.sh
sh script.sh yourfile.txtCode:BWA-MEM $1
savetherhino.org
-
You can ignore whomever told you that, he/she doesn't have a clue.
Python is more powerful, in that you can certainly do more with it easily, but doing something simple like stitching together a pipeline is often easier to do in a shell script (that's their intended purpose).
There are a lot of tools, learning which ones are most convenient for what situations are an important (and error ridden) part of the learning process.
Comment
-
If you have to, use subprocess package. It should work fine.
I think shell script is straightforward, and should be used, if all it does is to run a simple command. But I prefer python when the pipeline is complex.
In my case, it is a little more complicated. In one of pipelines I created in python, I need to submit jobs to clusters. It is so much easier to read run configuration file, parse out sample name, create proper path, make meaningful job name in python (try it in bash script, you will know why I prefer python). However the submitted command errored out when it submitted from python, but pasted the print-out commands in terminal worked fine without any problem. I did not have time to find out a solution, so I let the python script generate a full set of shell commands with all the path, parameters, job dependencies, etc, nicely made, output to a xxxx.sh file, and run the shell script afterward. I probably did it backward, and need to do one extra step, but it did work well. I COULD have done all of it in shell script but then I am not so good at shell script, especially when it comes to text manipulation.
Comment
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
0 responses
34 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
44 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
34 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
Comment