Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SDPA_Pet
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2013
    • 222

    #1

    Which BLAST output format can give full taxonomony information

    Hi, I was wondering which BLAST output format I should use to do this. I want to blast against nt database. I want the output not only gives me genus and species name, but also gives me phylum, order, family name.

    Is it possible?
  • jameslz
    Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 20

    #2
    you can use the GI number to map the tax id and the get the complete taxonomic lineage information via taxdump.tar.Z. ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pub/taxonomy/

    Comment

    • SDPA_Pet
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2013
      • 222

      #3
      Is it possible to map it when I blast it? or I need to get blast result first and then map to tax?

      Which command I should use to map the tax id?

      Comment

      • jameslz
        Member
        • Nov 2009
        • 20

        #4
        blast output format 6, 7, and 10 can be additionally configured to produce a custom format , it includes the Subject Taxonomy ID (staxids flag),
        for example:
        blastx -query Human_kinase_rna-100.fasta -db ../ccds/CCDS_protein.20130430 -out Human_kinase-rna-blastx-m7.tbl -evalue 1 -outfmt “7 qseqid qlen slen qcovhsp sseqid staxids bitscore score evalue pident qstart qend sstart send” -num_alignments 10 -num_threads 8
        I use a perl script to fetch the complete taxonomic lineage information of the blast staxids.

        Comment

        • SDPA_Pet
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2013
          • 222

          #5
          Originally posted by jameslz View Post
          blast output format 6, 7, and 10 can be additionally configured to produce a custom format , it includes the Subject Taxonomy ID (staxids flag),
          for example:

          I use a perl script to fetch the complete taxonomic lineage information of the blast staxids.
          Do I need to put the complete taxonomic lineage information file (ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pub/taxonomy/) in the same folder with my database file? In your example, I didn't see your command call any taxonomic lineage information file.

          Comment

          • SDPA_Pet
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2013
            • 222

            #6
            Hi use format 7 and use your command settings

            I still do have the taxonomic lineage and I don't know how to use the taxonomic lineage file

            Here is my output.

            query id query length subject length % hsp coverage subject id subject tax ids bit score score evalue % identity q. start q. end s. start " s. end "
            denovo0 266 297 85 gi|14718977|gb|AF352544.1| 163259 351 190 1.00E-93 95.15 39 265 1 219
            denovo1 400 1178 100 gi|117572484|gb|DQ979290.1| 1211 706 382 0 98.5 1 400 670 1069

            Comment

            • jameslz
              Member
              • Nov 2009
              • 20

              #7
              Usage:
              perl tax_trace.pl nodes.dmp names.dmp taxids.txt taxids_export.txt
              input file:taxids.txt
              format: seqId taxId
              gl00001 192
              gl00002 2020
              nodes.dmp names.dmp can be download from taxdump.tar.Z (ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pub/taxonomy/)


              output file:taxids_export.txt
              gl00001 Azospirillum brasilense root|cellular organisms|Bacteria|Proteobacteria|Alphaproteobacteria|Rhodospirillales|Rhodospirillaceae|Azospirillum|Azospirillum brasilense no rank|no rank|superkingdom|phylum|class|order|family|genus|species
              gl00002 Thermomonospora curvata root|cellular organisms|Bacteria|Actinobacteria|Actinobacteria|Actinobacteridae|Actinomycetales|Streptosporangineae|Thermomonosporaceae|Thermomonospora|Thermomonospora curvata no rank|no rank|superkingdom|phylum|class|subclass|order|suborder|family|genus|species
              Attached Files

              Comment

              • SDPA_Pet
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2013
                • 222

                #8
                Originally posted by jameslz View Post
                Usage:


                input file:taxids.txt
                format: seqId taxId


                nodes.dmp names.dmp can be download from taxdump.tar.Z (ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pub/taxonomy/)


                output file:taxids_export.txt
                Thank you. Can you also post your "taxids.txt" and "taxids_export.txt" file. I need to make sure my input file format is right and the output file is what I want. The attachment is my blastoutput and taxid. It didn't work.
                Thank you.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by SDPA_Pet; 02-19-2014, 08:32 AM.

                Comment

                • jameslz
                  Member
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 20

                  #9
                  You can parse the blast out file using:
                  cut -f1,6 blastout.txt >taxids.txt
                  and then:
                  perl tax_trace.pl nodes.dmp names.dmp taxids.txt taxids_export.txt

                  Comment

                  • SDPA_Pet
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2013
                    • 222

                    #10
                    Hi, what does this mean? "cut -f1,6 blastout.txt >taxids.txt"

                    Comment

                    • jameslz
                      Member
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 20

                      #11
                      Originally posted by SDPA_Pet View Post
                      Hi, what does this mean? "cut -f1,6 blastout.txt >taxids.txt"
                      Linux Command, Get the first and the sixth collumn (taxids)

                      Comment

                      • SDPA_Pet
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2013
                        • 222

                        #12
                        Oh, my taxon id is the 5th column. I have another attachment in my post. Is that correct? I can't get taxon information from that file.

                        Comment

                        • jameslz
                          Member
                          • Nov 2009
                          • 20

                          #13
                          Just fetch the "query id" and "tax ids" collumn .

                          Comment

                          • maubp
                            Peter (Biopython etc)
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 1544

                            #14
                            Which BLAST output format can give full taxonomony information?

                            Not the XML output (for now), but the optional taxonomy columns in the tabular/comma separated output get you close:
                            For some time I had thought that the best option for computer parsing of BLAST+ output was BLAST XML. It had all the key bits of information...

                            Comment

                            • yzzhang
                              Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 67

                              #15
                              I think blast+ has option to include taxonomy information. the "sscinames" option --- unique Subject Scientific Name(s)

                              Comment

                              Latest Articles

                              Collapse

                              • SEQadmin2
                                New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                                by SEQadmin2


                                Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                                We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                                ...
                                Today, 10:25 AM
                              • SEQadmin2
                                How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                                by SEQadmin2




                                The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                                This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                                09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                              ad_right_rmr

                              Collapse

                              News

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                              0 responses
                              28 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post SEQadmin2  
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                              0 responses
                              24 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post SEQadmin2  
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                              1 response
                              46 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post pekgio
                              by pekgio
                               
                              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                              1 response
                              55 views
                              0 reactions
                              Last Post pekgio
                              by pekgio
                               
                              Working...