Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sdmoore
    Member
    • Jun 2014
    • 12

    #1

    Won't assembling reads to a reference remove SNPs and InDels?

    When aligning reads to a reference to generate a config for SNP/InDel detection, won't the alignment necessarily remove the reads that have the desired information?

    I see this as a commonly-listed step before searching for mutations.

    Other threads I have read here (and papers referred to in them) refer to software that does the alignments (I have used Bowtie and Ugene), but I clearly see the absence in the resulting contigs of known antibiotic resistance markers that are in the genomes (large insertions). My filtered Illumina sets are paired (which don't seem to work in the alignments), but the individual libraries provide about 10 fold coverage with most reads >200.
  • dpryan
    Devon Ryan
    • Jul 2011
    • 3478

    #2
    Most of the pipelines aren't intended for finding very large insertions of novel sequence. For those, just use a different method, such as this one.

    Comment

    • sdmoore
      Member
      • Jun 2014
      • 12

      #3
      Thanks for that paper, I had it in my folder, so I must have at least skimmed it.
      I have not gotten decent assemblies using the paired end libraries (processed), I think they may all have to be the same length, which I didn't realize when I was filtering/trimming each.

      The assemblers I have used don't spit out the orphans, which is exactly what I need. I will find a way to get those.

      Thanks for the help.

      Comment

      Latest Articles

      Collapse

      • SEQadmin2
        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
        by SEQadmin2


        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
        ...
        Yesterday, 10:25 AM
      • SEQadmin2
        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
        by SEQadmin2




        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

      ad_right_rmr

      Collapse

      News

      Collapse

      Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
      0 responses
      9 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
      0 responses
      32 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
      0 responses
      27 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post SEQadmin2  
      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
      1 response
      48 views
      0 reactions
      Last Post pekgio
      by pekgio
       
      Working...