Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hi-koike
    Member
    • Jul 2013
    • 13

    #1

    Negative RPKM values by EDGE-pro

    Hello,

    I am using your EDGE-pro programs for RNA-seq analysis
    of bacterial species.
    I could run the program, but I got negative values for some of
    the samples.

    I found rRNA.numberReads was more than numberReads or
    numberUniqueReads, thus I got negative value for
    rpkm.numberReads.

    I tried to find the reason by reading the perl script, but I found
    counting of the number of reads was done by a binary code.

    I would appreciate it if you could tell me why and how to
    do to run the program.

    Thanks in advance,
    Hideaki
  • dpryan
    Devon Ryan
    • Jul 2011
    • 3478

    #2
    Why don't you send an email to the address listed on the EDGE-pro webpage?

    Comment

    • hi-koike
      Member
      • Jul 2013
      • 13

      #3
      Hi dpryan,

      Thank you for your advice. Actually I did, but it didn't work.
      I would appreciate any idea.

      Thank you,
      Hideaki

      Comment

      • blakeoft
        Member
        • Oct 2013
        • 79

        #4
        The only thing I can think of is that the RPKM values are log transformed, but the manual doesn't seem to mention that they're log transformed. When did you try emailing them? It's possible that they haven't had a chance to reply yet.

        Comment

        • hi-koike
          Member
          • Jul 2013
          • 13

          #5
          Hi blakeoft,

          Thank you. As you pointed, I will wait the answer for my email.

          I tried to read the perl script, but the count was done by
          a binary code "count". So I need a help from a well experienced person.

          I have waited only for 3 days, so I will wait.

          Thank you,
          Hideaki

          Comment

          • dpryan
            Devon Ryan
            • Jul 2011
            • 3478

            #6
            You might have to give it a few weeks. Many authors are pretty bad at getting back to people in a timely manner.

            Comment

            • freestile
              Member
              • Aug 2014
              • 11

              #7
              Originally posted by hi-koike View Post
              Hi blakeoft,

              Thank you. As you pointed, I will wait the answer for my email.

              I tried to read the perl script, but the count was done by
              a binary code "count". So I need a help from a well experienced person.

              I have waited only for 3 days, so I will wait.

              Thank you,
              Hideaki
              Finally you solved ?? I have the same problem.
              Regards

              Comment

              • dbouzo
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2017
                • 1

                #8
                I am also experiencing this same problem, however my .numberReads file (total number of reads) is a value smaller than that of the rRNA.numberReads file (number of reads mapped to rRNAs). I don't understand how this is possible as I would interpret 'total number of mapped reads' as including the reads from rRNA.

                Has anyone else had this issue at all, or an update with a way to resolve this? I have contacted the EDGE-pro developers and hope to hear back soon.

                Comment

                • Markiyan
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 126

                  #9
                  Try removing rRNA, tRNA, transposon reads.

                  In order to minimise the impact of the bug, try removing the reads matching rRNA, tRNA and transposase genes present in a genome of the analysed organism and rerunning the mapping/analysis.

                  Also check the definition of the rRNA regions (how the program gets those reads numbers).

                  So first make sure you have a multifasta file with rRNA (full rrn loci) and tRNA seqs for your organism, than you can use my tool as a simple contaminant remover:
                  (assuming adapters had been clipped already):

                  fastq_miseq_trimmer [R1.fastq.gz] [R2.fastq.gz] -base=[output_files_basename] -vs=[rtRNAs.fasta] -nohproc -noclip

                  Other processing options:
                  To remove illumina adapters: replace -noclip with -ts for Illumina TruSeq adapters clipping. To set quality clipping threshold add: -epc=0.5 (0.5=cumulative error probability in 10bp sliding window).

                  To set the ends to /1 /2, If your tool wants /1 or /2 as ends specifier, and replace ":" in a read_name with "_"
                  replace -nohproc with -ends=3

                  http://seqanswers.com/forums/attachm...3&d=1463489447

                  Comment

                  • dmking
                    Junior Member
                    • Aug 2019
                    • 2

                    #10
                    hi-koike was there a resolution of this issue? Or did you use the solution suggested by Markiyan?

                    I'm having the same problem and have emailed the authors but would like to know what, if any, approach worked for you.

                    Comment

                    • tdcollingsworth
                      Junior Member
                      • Aug 2019
                      • 1

                      #11
                      Checking In

                      Hey, guys -

                      Pretty stumped at this as well: am in the process of trying to debug 'edge.pl' as well as 'count.cpp'.

                      The code is good but is pretty convoluted and not well documented: pretty standard scientific code, I suppose.

                      Interested in hearing about anyone else's success in figuring out where the bug is!

                      Cheers,

                      Timothy

                      Comment

                      Latest Articles

                      Collapse

                      • SEQadmin2
                        New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                        by SEQadmin2


                        Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                        We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                        ...
                        Today, 10:25 AM
                      • SEQadmin2
                        How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                        by SEQadmin2




                        The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                        This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                        09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                      ad_right_rmr

                      Collapse

                      News

                      Collapse

                      Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                      0 responses
                      28 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post SEQadmin2  
                      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                      0 responses
                      24 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post SEQadmin2  
                      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                      1 response
                      46 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post pekgio
                      by pekgio
                       
                      Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                      1 response
                      55 views
                      0 reactions
                      Last Post pekgio
                      by pekgio
                       
                      Working...