Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JPZ
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 4

    #1

    Draft genome scaffolding with RNAseq paired-end reads

    Hello all,

    I used Tophat to map 100bp, PE Illumina transcriptome reads to a draft genome (133062 contigs).
    Our main goal was SNP mining, but I have been suggested the reads could also be used for scaffolding.

    I have no experience in genome assembly and scaffolding, but I assume that if I can find read pairs where the 2 reads are mapped to different genomic contigs, the 2 genomic contigs could then be connected.

    How can I search the BAM alignments for such read pairs?

    Alternatively I could use an assembler that can combine different types of reads such as Mira, but I thought it would take longer, and the genomic reads are not available anyway.

    Thank you!
  • Brian Bushnell
    Super Moderator
    • Jan 2014
    • 2709

    #2
    Look for reads where the "rname" field and "rnext" field are different (and rnext is not "=" or "*"); those have the reads mapped to different contigs.

    Comment

    • JPZ
      Junior Member
      • Mar 2012
      • 4

      #3
      Thank you for the info Brian,
      good starting point, saved me a lot of reading and guesswork.

      I also thought of filtering for MAPQ = 50 (should be uniquely mapped reads)
      and properly paired reads (FLAG = 83|99|147|163)

      The following command should then extract the alignments of interest:

      samtools view -q 50 accepted_hits.bam |gawk '($2 == 83 || $2 == 99 || $2 == 147 || $2 == 163) && $7 !~/[*=]/ {print $3, $7}' > output

      And thus obtain a list of joined contigs.
      However, while it is possible to determine which contigs are joined, I assume the lenght of N bases padding between them cannot.
      Not only the region may not be transcribed, but the insert size for paired reads that have a mate in a different contig appears to be always 0 (at least that is what Tablet shows).

      Or do I have other options I'm unaware of?

      Comment

      • Brian Bushnell
        Super Moderator
        • Jan 2014
        • 2709

        #4
        The insert size of reads mapped to different contigs is unknown. Scaffolding tools can use the distribution of insert sizes of pairs on the same contig, or user-supplied insert size numbers, to determine how many Ns to pad.

        This might be easier if you just use a standalone scaffolding tool. There are various out there, but I don't have a recommendation. Here's a paper comparing some of them:

        Comment

        • JPZ
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2012
          • 4

          #5
          Thank you again for the input,
          I'll check the paper and see if using the above filtered alignments can work.

          Comment

          • boetsie
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2010
            • 245

            #6
            Maybe this program will help:



            I have not used it myself though.

            Comment

            • bioBob
              Member
              • Mar 2011
              • 72

              #7
              L-rna-scaffolder may also help.

              I have used it with varying success.

              Comment

              • JPZ
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2012
                • 4

                #8
                Thank you all for your answers,
                I'll try some of the suggested tools, more likely those that do not have too many dependencies..

                Comment

                Latest Articles

                Collapse

                • SEQadmin2
                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                  by SEQadmin2


                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                  ...
                  Yesterday, 10:25 AM
                • SEQadmin2
                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                  by SEQadmin2




                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                ad_right_rmr

                Collapse

                News

                Collapse

                Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                0 responses
                29 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                0 responses
                24 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                1 response
                46 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                1 response
                55 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Working...