Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • javauma
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2015
    • 4

    #1

    How to assign "Not assigned" BLAST hits by MEGAN

    Hello experts,

    I want to classify several millions of pathogen DNA/cDNA reads to taxonomical groups (like bacterial, viral, fungal ...).
    My pipeline is as below...

    Sequencer: HiSeq 2000 pair-end with NexteraXT library prep kit
    Removing human reads: BOWTIE2
    Mapping to nt/nr database: BLAST+ (-max_target_seq 1)

    Then, I tried to classify BLAST output (tabular) to taxonomic groups by MEGAN5 with auxiliary mapping file they provided (http://www-ab.informatik.uni-tuebing...March2015X.zip).

    This beautiful software successfully classified 90% of reads to specific taxons, but about 10% reads was "Not assigned".
    However, I found some correctly BLASTed reads in this "Not assiened" group.
    These reads are correctly assigned to specific pathogenic GIs and Taxon IDs, but "Not assigned" by MEGAN.
    I guess this is because ..

    (1) NCBI does not provide taxon ids to nt/nr database, so MEGAN miss certain amount of correct hits.
    (2) MEGAN does not support latest gi-taxon database, and miss recently added GIs.

    Thanks,
  • javauma
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2015
    • 4

    #2
    Finally, I updated BLAST+ to 2.3.0 which provides tabular outfmt with taxids.
    And now I can classify all BLAST hits with taxids by MEGAN.
    Thanks.

    Comment

    • SylvainL
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2012
      • 180

      #3
      Hi, just a comment. I am not sure you can say your reads are specific here. If I remember well, setting "-max_target_seq" to 1 does not mean you will have only one match but that you will report only one...

      Comment

      • javauma
        Junior Member
        • Jul 2015
        • 4

        #4
        Hi, SylvainL

        I'm novice on bioinformatics, so I appreciate your kind comments !
        To my understanding, you should hold as many hits as possible to improve plausibility.
        (... so far as my computer permits)

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Today, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        27 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        24 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        45 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
        1 response
        55 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...