Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mlodato
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 8

    #1

    Convert paired-end, longer reads to single-end, shorter reads

    Hi,
    Possibly a very dumb question, but if I have a dataset of paired-end, 150bp reads, but a computational tool that is formatted to analyze single-end 50bp reads. I am wondering if it is practically feasible to only consider 1 end for each read, and clip that read to 50 bp, and use it. Also, is it logical to do so, in other words am I missing some reason why this is a bad idea?

    Thanks for any help!
  • Brian Bushnell
    Super Moderator
    • Jan 2014
    • 2709

    #2
    This depends on what you want to use the data for. The approach you suggest is certainly feasible to force an old tool to handle new data, but at the expense of discarding a huge amount of useful data and basically undoing 5 years of advancement in sequencing technology. The best approach would usually be to find or make a tool that is flexible enough to accept and utilize modern data, if you want the most accurate possible answer. What does the tool do?

    Comment

    • mlodato
      Junior Member
      • Aug 2013
      • 8

      #3
      Thanks, I've thought about the issues you've raised and agree with you. I want to use this tool (http://www.nature.com/nprot/journal/....2012.039.html), which measures copy number. I will be using this analysis as a QC on low-coverage sequencing to pick out bad samples before high-coverage sequencing, so throwing out lots of data would not be the end of the world.

      Comment

      • proux
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2009
        • 6

        #4
        This is my first post, and I have the same question - although the tool I have in mind is the newer qDNAseq, but it seems to also want single end 50bp reads. https://www.bioconductor.org/package...l/QDNAseq.html

        Comment

        • proux
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 6

          #5
          i guess this should allow at least the split into single ended

          Comment

          • GenoMax
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2008
            • 7142

            #6
            Originally posted by proux View Post
            This is my first post, and I have the same question - although the tool I have in mind is the newer qDNAseq, but it seems to also want single end 50bp reads. https://www.bioconductor.org/package...l/QDNAseq.html
            Where does it say that it requires 50 bp reads? I looked through the reference manual. Perhaps I missed that part.

            Comment

            • GenoMax
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2008
              • 7142

              #7
              Originally posted by proux View Post
              i guess this should allow at least the split into single ended
              http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/l...amtofastq.html
              If data you are looking at is paired-end then split it and use just one end (if that is all you need). Generally R1 (first) read would be one to use.

              Comment

              • proux
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2009
                • 6

                #8
                thanks. 50 bp reads is the only input accepted in the galaxy version. It is not explicitly stated in the R package, but it is what they used in the paper for their own data, and they truncated 1000 genomes data to the first 50 bp

                Comment

                Latest Articles

                Collapse

                • SEQadmin2
                  New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                  by SEQadmin2


                  Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                  We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                  ...
                  Today, 10:25 AM
                • SEQadmin2
                  How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                  by SEQadmin2




                  The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                  This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                  09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                ad_right_rmr

                Collapse

                News

                Collapse

                Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                0 responses
                27 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                0 responses
                24 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post SEQadmin2  
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                1 response
                45 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                1 response
                55 views
                0 reactions
                Last Post pekgio
                by pekgio
                 
                Working...